Ford Forums banner

Really High Idle

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Mr3GTP 
#1 ·
My 92 Topaz 2.3L idles in between 3000 and 4000 rpm. I've been told that it is either the Mass Air Flow sensor (which I just ordered off of eBay for $15), the Idle Air Temp sensor, or a Vacuum Leak.

I'm just curious as to whether or not there are any other things that I should possibly check/replace.

#3 ·
I have the same Mercury Topaz '92 and I JUST replaced the air flow sencers. I can't remember which one it is but its one of the two. Whoever told you is exactly right on dot. Its very easy to access and replace - its right on top. Also check into the oxygen censor I just had to replace that and the motor mounts...lol. Honestly you and I are in for alot with our cars...I'm having the same difficulty I'am hoping to buy a Ford Taurus instead :p I wish you luck in your car.

#4 ·
I had the same thing on my 94 Tempo 2.3 auto. It turned out to be a sticky idle air control valve. Also, for what it's worth to whoever else comes across this thread, the front tranny mount is bunged up because of high idle speed shifts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.