Ford Forums banner

7,500 Mile Oil Changes?

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  BlutoBodine 
#1 ·
Anybody do the 7.5k intervals? I've always preferred 3,000 mile changes on all my previous cars, but I'm considering doing 7,500 mile oil drains and after the truck has over 15,000 miles I'll probably switch to Motorcraft full synthetic 5w20. Thanks for any input. BTW, I mainly drive highway miles.

#2 ·
I do 6,000 mile oil changes on my car. I use Mobile1 and I also change oil filters between oil changes. All of my other rides, I use synthetic blend & change at 3,000 intervals.

There are people that will agree and disagree on 6,000 mile intervals. Using good quaility full synthetic oil & doubling up on filter changes has worked good for me.

Be sure your engine is broke in before switching to full synthetic & always use a good quaility oil filter (no fram)

Also, you might want to research brands. There are a lot of oil's claiming "full synthetic" but are actually petroleum based. Amsoil and Mobile 1 are true synthetic.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info - as for filter brands and oil brands, I'll stick with Motorcraft. I just asked about the 7,500 mile intervals because that's what the owner's manual suggested for most driving conditions. May do an oil analysis if i get worried about the extended intervals.

#5 ·
I don't see how my warranty would be in danger when the owner's manual suggests 7,500 mile oil changes? But just to play it safe I may follow the "Severe Service" 5,000 mile schedule, at least until I switch to full synthetic Motorcraft.

#9 ·
Severe duty anything over 90 deg. or under 40,plus towing etc.I'm pulling this of the top of my head so cut me some slack.Maintence records are the key and not something you throw together after you have a problem.Dealership oil changes and maintence is best but not required.7,500 miles is a little long for my taste because most people are bust and 7,500 turns into 8 to 8,500.Oh and during base warranty as long as the vehicle has oil and the lof sticker doesnt show 10k past due you should not have a problem.It more comes into play for after warranty adjustment where having all your services done at the selling dealer makes a big statement/customer loyalty factor.

#10 ·
[Update] Talked to a few Ford and other ASE techs since my last posting - Decided to go with 7.5k drain intervals, but will be using Amsoil AE Oil filters and Amsoil oil. As for the break-in oil, since I feel that I'm pushing it quite a bit I'm changing the oil filter (OEM) every 2,500 miles and topping off with Motorcraft Synthetic Blend for now...and I'm using a FilterMag on the filter.

Didn't stick with my "filter brands and oil brands, I'll stick with Motorcraft" promise for very long. Sorry. :whoaa:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.