Ford Forums banner

04 Taurus won't start yesterday, won't crank today

6K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  tbird100636 
#1 ·
Yesterday my wife told me her car didn't want to start. Said the motor had to roll over much more than normal before it started. This evening I went out for her to show me and it would not crank! Nothing, one big CLACK! and that was it. I looked at the battery cable and the positive was corroded so I cleaned it well and out it back on. The eye on the battery is green, the voltage on the battery is 12.5. If you turn on the head lights they are bright.

I know I am describing two issues here. One would not start and no won't crank. That's why I am baffled. One should not effect the other?????

Any help is appreciated

David

#2 ·
Obviously if it won't crank it can't start. That aside, solve the cranking issue first. Sounds like the battery may be ok. Check all connections battery>solenoid>starter. Starter could be bad or possibly siezed motor. See if you can turn the engine by hand, that will eliminate (or confirm) the siezed engine part. When you try to crank, do yu hear any noise? ie, single click or rapid clicks, or do the lights go dim?

#4 ·
Then you still have a battery connection issue or the battery is very weak. Make sure the battery connections are clean and tight. Take a screwdriver and put it in between the cable clamp and it's terminal if possible. If it now starts it's a connection issue. If it does the same thing then it's most likely a battery. When the lights go completely go out do they come back on right away or is there about a ten second delay and they gradually come back???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.