Ford Forums banner

How do you properly place a Sable on 4 jackstands?

9K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  joeymagnus 
#1 ·
Can anyone show me how to properly place a 93 Sable on 4 jackstands? It's not mentioned in the owners manual, nor in the Haynes manual I have. Being used to full frame vehicles, I'm not certain on unibody cars where to place the jackstands. I'd like to get under the car to change the transmission fluid and filter. Pictures would be a huge help. Thanks in advance..

Steve O

#3 ·
:avd:

First may I ask why you need your Sable up on 4 stands???
So I can get under the vehicle to drop the transmission pan. I would like it on 4 stands so that the vehicle is still level, allowing all of the transmission fluid to drain. If the car is on an incline, for instance if I drove it up on a pair of ramps,perhaps not all of the fluid will drain out. I know on other veicles I've owned that was the case.

#5 ·
Bad idea to jack 4 wheels for tranny service. Ford 05 Sable LE says jack points front are the subframe notches both sides. The car support jacks should be placed under the body about 6 inches aft the large subframe bolt and bushings. The unibody "frame" extends aft the rear subframe bolt/bushings. You do not need to jack 4 points for a tranny service. I've done several only front end. I also do not use the Ford jack points as one side at a time racks the body. I use the front subframe cross member and place support jacks at the recommended support points just behind the subframe bolt/bushings. Place rear wheel blocks and I use 2X6 pieces deck screwed together under the front wheels. The drain process is to loosen the rear bolts first with a large pan under and progressively drop the pan until I can handle. I've found NAPA gaskets the best. Careful not to overtourqe. I also added 5 quarter sized 30 lb pull magnets to trap debris.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.