Ford Forums banner

Gas Mileage

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  donzi 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 Ranger, 4.0L V6 4x4 and i was wondering what i should be looking at for mileage. I have about a 16 gal tank and i get about 250 miles out of it. If this is right, i should have gotten a V8. Just wondering what i should be looking at.

Thanks,
Matt

#2 ·
I hear you. I have an '02 with a 4l that even after a tuneup gets less mileage than my dad's 4x4 dually longbed 4dr full size chevy. I hear the F in Ford means Fuel Hog. I even installed a computer to help me drive more efficiently, hardly noticed a change even with feather footin it and keeping the speed down to 55 on the freeway. Too bad, otherwise I love the truck. If gas goes back up I'm parking it.

#3 ·
Same goes for the Explorer 4x4. 16mpg is about average and I believe is the EPA city mileage as well. A small V8 with gears would get similar numbers. My E250 rwd van 4.6L with 4.10 gears, fully laden with 2000lbs of parts on board still gets 15L/100km or about 16-17mpg. My AWD Durango 5.9L with 3.92 gears on the other hand is lucky to get 12mpg in winter driving. The bright side at least is the V6 will cost slightly less to maintain over the life of the vehicle.

#4 ·
It's typical if you have a 4x4 truck to not get great mileage. I have a 92 2wd extra cab truck w/ the same engine and I get mid 20's with it on the highway.

When gas was around $4 and I was putting in $20 worth that only gave me about 5 Gal's if not a tad more of gas (about quarter of a tank) and all I had was 7-10Gal's at most during that time, I still managed about 77 miles or every 3-4 days of commuting to work via freeway before gassing up. it takes me about 25 minutes to get to work most days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.