Ford Forums banner

AntiFreeze Liquid - Ford Taurus 2002

47K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  tbird100636 
#1 ·
Have another question.

I have a 2002 Ford Taurus SES... and I bought 2 types of AntiFreeze -

- Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant

- Prestone 50/50 PreDiluted

Unfortunately Im unsure about each, since I was told that The Antifreeze already in my Taurus is red color, and I have to use a Antifreeze with the same red color to fill it up. I went to the local Autozone... and theres only 2 - 3 types of Antifreeze... all Green color.

Do I have to find Red Antifreeze or am I able to use Prestone antifreeze?

#2 ·
:avd::avd:

Hello and good day to you Jean:

First may I say Thank you for Serving are Country in the Guard, From one Vet to other..May God Bless you and Keep you.

Red??? Antifreeze is not red....Power Steering Fluid is RED...

May I ask a few Questions??

1. Are you sure you are checking the Antifreeze Reservoir??(this should be a large Plastic Tank, usually white/grayish in color)

2. Have you refereed to your OWNERS MANUAL???

If your Antifreeze is RED in the Reservoir it may be burnt/worn...or you may need a Radiator Flush...or.. something more serious...

Prestone Extended Life is very good Antifreeze...but you may have to dilute it alittle....where as the 50/50 is already to use.....Both are very good.

Please Advise further.

#4 ·
:avd::avd:

Hello and good day to you Jean:

First may I say Thank you for Serving are Country in the Guard, From one Vet to other..May God Bless you and Keep you.

Red??? Antifreeze is not red....Power Steering Fluid is RED...

May I ask a few Questions??

1. Are you sure you are checking the Antifreeze Reservoir??(this should be a large Plastic Tank, usually white/grayish in color)

2. Have you refereed to your OWNERS MANUAL???

If your Antifreeze is RED in the Reservoir it may be burnt/worn...or you may need a Radiator Flush...or.. something more serious...

Prestone Extended Life is very good Antifreeze...but you may have to dilute it alittle....where as the 50/50 is already to use.....Both are very good.

Please Advise further.
Six, there is a 5 year 100,000 mi. antifreeze that is a red or orange hue, many manufacturers are using it now (All Chryslers since 2002, few specific models before then, and GM). It was also known as GM Dex-Cool. Still ethylene glycol, just a different chemical make-up.

#3 ·
You can use the regular Prestone green in the yellow jug. You don't have the orange stuff unless someone has added it in the past.

You coolant tank will be located on the passenger side of the engine compartment and will have a black top.

Owners manual states

Motorcraft
Premium Engine
Coolant
(green-colored) or
Motorcraft
Premium Gold
Engine Coolant
(yellow-colored)

#12 ·
A note, 1999 Taurus/Sable shop manual mistakenly lists correct coolant as Red, but it was in fact Green.

#13 ·
You will notice on the chart it says that if any mixing of the coolants happens then go by the green maintenance intervals. Implying the green is good for all cases.

IMHO using the long term coolants in the iron block motor will only cause problems. The Vulcan OHV motor has had terrible cooling system problems ever since Ford went to the long term stuff.

Just get the cheap green and flush it every two years.

Of course a good complete flush and rinse first is in order.

#14 ·
I read the chart again. It indicates you can change from Green to Yellow if you flush it, but it makes no absolute claim it's a good idea to go from Yellow to Green. Although it says you can mix the two, it says you have to follow the three year interval. As far as the Vulcan heat issue, mixing or switching would make the issue worse. I've worked at a Chrysler dealer for 8 years now. Chrysler has been using Red 5/100,000 coolant in everything since 2002, in Minivans since 2000, which have iron block 2.4L, 3.3L, and 3.8L engines, and none of them have had a cooling system plugging up after 5 years of use without any major component replacement, but usually a normal wear item like a water pump would go on those, or in salt belt states heater or water tubes rotting from road salt, which would result in some fresh coolant before 5 years.

The only issue I have seen recently in sporadic 2006-2008 vehicles was another brazing technique change which resulted in a chemical reaction in the coolant, resulting in the heater and oil coolers to plug with a white mud. But otherwise, 5 year doesn't do any damage to components.

I understand people want to save money, but if you can't find the right coolant at stores, don't skimp on it, just go to the dealer and spend the extra coin for the right stuff. Green and Red are simple, don't buy the universal Prestone Green stuff. Just find a Generic in the Correct color. I'm not sure if Yellow is done in Generic yet, but if it is then you're set. Otherwise, spend the Extra coin at the Ford dealer.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well telling people to not buy the green stuff is a bit uneducated. It will work as good as it did for years. I think the green stuff you get to day is labeled as a universal replacement. I've used it in my '97 since day one.

Why do people want to go on forever with the old coolant in the motor?

And the Vulcan motors are atrocious for rusting up. Yes let's leave that coolant in there until it turns to sludge.

#16 ·
Well telling people to not buy the green stuff is a bit uneducated. It will work as good as it did for years. I think the green stuff you get to day is labeled as a universal replacement. I've used it in my '97 since day one.

Why do people want to go on forever with the old coolant in the motor?

And the Vulcan motors are atrocious for rusting up. Yes let's leave that coolant in there until it turns to sludge
I never said forever. Most people don't realize they have to change it at all unless the shop servicing it recommends it and most of the time they choose not to do it. That's why they turn to sludge or plug up. I started messing with the web address you got the chart from, and found this:

Q: What was the result of the backward compatibility testing using Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant, VC-7-A, in prior MY vehicles that were factory-filled with the green colored Motorcraft Premium Engine Coolant, VC-4-A?
A: Due to the very limited number of prior MY vehicles equipped with green-colored Motorcraft Premium Engine Coolant that could be serviced using the Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant and the differences in the coolants' maintenance schedules, Ford is maintaining the position that all Ford vehicles should be serviced using only the coolant with which the vehicle was originally (factory-fill) equipped.

FCSD Chemicals and Lubricants
Soooo... if Green, use Green, if Yellow, use Yellow. Or according to chart, if approved, flush and refill with Yellow.

Not all are labeled universal replacement, the particular univesal I'm talking about is the 5/100,000 Green stuff.

But if you want to continue claiming mixing or putting in the wrong coolant is Ok, be my guest, it is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but I would never do it, or recommend to one of my customers to do so, considering the damaging effects from the chemical reaction between the additives and brazings in the radiator and heater core.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.