Ford Forums banner

2002 Edge Power Window issue

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  YellerEdge 
#1 ·
OK, here is the deal.
2002 Ford Ranger Edge Plus 4.0L V6 99K miles.
It has power windows, I hate power windows, and until 4 days ago everything on the truck was still working perfectly. 4 days ago I rolled the window down and when I went to get out of the truck I rolled it up about halfway and for some reason I wanted to roll it back down and I heard a buzz under the dash. It would go up but not down at all. When I hit the down button it would just buzz so I rolled it up and went to work without giving it much thought. That evening I came out and the window would not roll down and now it is just buzzing.
I replaced the ‘1-touch down’ relay it did not resolve the issue. I have no other electronic anomalies. The passenger side window works just fine too.

#4 ·
To me, it looks like you have a jam on the window regulator because it has lack of lubricant or grease.
The sound you have under the dash causes by the accessible current flows through the relay that drives that window regulator. Other word, that relay is overloaded. Your window motor would be working fine.
Parts you could fine at a Napa store. One thing I just wonder if your window regulator is driven with a cable or with a none cable type. You may open it and check it out first.

Tony

#5 ·
I fixed it!!!

Tony, you were very close. You were right that the motor was overloaded, the track that the window travels in must have been sticky or something. I put both hands on each side of the window and pushed down as the wife pushed the button repeatedly. It went down. I lubed the tracks with silicon lube and now the window works just fine.

The funny thing is exactly 1 week ago I had my wife's Civic door apart doing guess what? Putting the window back on the tracks and lubing them. Weird huh?

#7 ·
I don't know about Ford's periodic maintenance but I do know that it is part of the every 30K maintenance for Hondas.

I had noticed that it did seem like the windows were going slower but I never gave it much though till they just up and quit working.:zzz:

This truck has been so trouble free that I guess I was just getting use to not having to do anything to it. She is getting a bit older now so I think I am going to throw some TLC her way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.