Ford Forums banner

Head numbers

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  FFR428 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Been trying to figure out if the 390 in my 64 is the original engine. Ran across something that confuses me. The Heads are numbered C1AE 6090A, date stamp is 3H13. Now if I have this right; that says that they are 1961 Galaxie heads, BUT they were manufactured Aug 13 1963. Does this sound right?
Block stamp (I assume that's what it is, behind oil filter) says 3F10. Can't see any other #s on block ....yet. DIF build location code.
Intake #s are C4SE 9425A (I think "S" designates a thunderbird). build date stamp (I assume) above it is 3H9:
Can anyone decipher this any better than I. I'm sure I may have some things screwed up. The head numbers really confuse me (for a 61, built in 63?)
VIN# is; 4G69ZXXXXXX Build Date on door is H29
So may I have an original engine? Or just a conglomeration of early 60s parts?

#2 ·
Everything seems to be somewhat in order. The only thing that seems a little out of place is the block 2 months earlier. But it is possible it was taken off line for a repair and then put back into the mainstream. One thing you can check is the assy date. That would clear it up. On the upper left (dr) side of the block right by cyl #5 you'll see a "ear" with a flat front. Scrape off the old paint and it should reveal the assy date stamp. It follows the same date code format as the other parts.

#3 ·
Okay..........Checked out manuf. date stamp. Very hard to make out (not stamped very deeply or well. Had to take pictures of it and try and work it out. To the best of my ability it seems to say:
3H16C
Does that make sense? What is the "C" stand for?

#4 ·
Yep that's it. Looks like it's all original. 3H16. The "C" could mean a couple of different things as I've been told. ABCD are used and would either be the shift ( C = 3rd shift) or the ID of the engine assembler. I'd think both are related somewhat in effort to back track problems in assy and hot testing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.