Ford Forums banner

Amazed at the gas mileage

5K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  Fords-36+ 
#1 ·
Just returned from a trip. Arkansas back to West Virginia. My 09 Mariner was averaging 25.5 MPG most of the trip. One fill up after a pretty mountainous route I filled up. 280 miles on the odo and it only took 10 gallons, and that was filling after the pump stopped. I couldn't believe 28 MPG cruising at 70+ MPH! I think we'll keep it.

#3 ·
No you won't. You'll sell it to me now that you've taken the depreciation hit! Glad to hear of the good mileage results! Just think - it should get better once you get some miles on'r!

Good deal :hy:

What part of Arkansas?
The part with NO hills! ha....

#5 ·
Actually we did a lot of mountains. From Mountain Home Arkansas down to Memphis, TN then I40 to Nashville and to I81 north all the way through Virginia. If they ain't mountains then I guess I was seeing things. The lowest mileage we got on the trip was 25.7. I really didn't think it could get any better. Much better mileage than our 09 Toyota Tacoma 4 cyl on the same trip.

#6 ·
I find rolling hills greatly help to increase mileage. I actually get better mileage traveling through the US, than I do on the 400 series highways here north of the border. Even taking into account the higher speed limits. I believe us Canucks don't put as much effort into our road design, as we use the cheapest possible route with the least amount of materials required to do the job. At least a lot of the US interstates are split up, so you don't have to deal with a Bi-Xenon blitz, etc, from passing vehicles in the opposing lanes.

#7 ·
:driver:I posted that I got over 28miles per gallon on a little over 200 mile trip, mostly straight highway, a few long inclines up and down. The fusion we had, which traded on this Escape, got 30.5 pg on 500 mile trip, I feel pretty sure as someone hinted, that it is going to get even better, as it gets a little more milage on it. ENJOY, I sure am. Also I will be going into the mountains in the near future, and keep your message in mind.

#17 ·
Okay, just finished a trip of just over 120 miles mostly interstate travel, the current read out is: 02527miles, and according to on-board HEV fuel read-out, which I reset each time I get fuel, the 2009 Escape Hybrid is now getting 34.1 miles per gallon. Like I said before, I thought it would do better after getting some more miles on it.
Sure hope you all are getting at least this good on yours.
:hy:

#10 ·
How big is this lake??? I see NO WATER except a river around Mt Home, AR. I was close though, was in Memphis for a few days this past April. I gotta get out more....

#11 ·
West of Mountain Home is Bull Shoal Lake. A large lake, over 20 miles, made by the Corps of Engineers. Going west on Highway 5 will lead you to the state park. Really a lot to do if you are into boating and fishing. Unfortunately I'm not so I get really bored for a week each year.

#12 ·
Good to know, even though it's a bit far from home for me. My last boat decided to take on water after I drove it into some rocks! Not that it was a big deal anyway. I got it at an estate sale (22' Campion) for $4300 with only 180hours on it...but it was 12 years old. To fix the fiberglass was going to set me back a couple grand, so I decided to part with it. I'm currently shopping around for another 'steal'.

#15 ·
I guess I will be going next month. I usually let the kids go to Branson USA and Silver Dollar City, while me and the old lady usually hit the malls or just drive around. If it were up to me, I'd stay in the room watching tv and enjoy the WiFi.

#16 ·
Darn it. I forgot to add that since we're suppose to be talking about mileage, the Prevost with the C15 engine managed 6.18 US mpg (39L/100km), 98% highway, not too bad. The 10 speed ZF automated manual trans is one sweet piece.

I believe I saw something along the lines of people pulling themselves up this small (what I call up here a) Drop Zone ride, at Silver Dollar City. I thought that was a bit different!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.