Ford Forums banner

2003 navigator suspension problems

12K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  texmexharley 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 Nav with the air leveling suspension. When temperatures drop below 50 degrees the front drops all the way to the stops. When I start it you here the compresser running but it takes a good 20 min to rise back up to normal. So in the mean time Im riding in a hoopty dodging man hole covers. This is all directly related to temperature because during the summer or when it is parked in the garage there are no problems. Anybody have any ideas of the cause? I live in Phoenix Arizona so I am wondering if anyone up north has had similiar problems during the winter.

thanks

#2 ·
I'd get the air bags and lines inspected for any leaks. I drive an '04 Freightliner with full air suspension and have never lost air pressure even sitting outside in -20C weather for a weekend. Perhaps a fitting has come loose and the cooler weather will shrink anything made of rubber. When the temps rise the hot air expands the system sealing any cracks so it will seem to work normally.

#3 ·
I have a 2003 Navigator and had the Air Compressor replaced (about a month ago) , for some reason when the Tempature drops to 40 below . The front end drops all the way , (right side lower than left) when I start it , the compressor comes on and raises it up alittle (about 5 inches) . Then when I put in Drive the Compressor kicks on again for another 15 mins. but does go up futher , then when I drive it , drops again ! But when the weather is Hot , EVERYTHING works Fine !!!!!!! Any Answers ????????

#4 ·
Just had this problem on my wife's 2003 Navigator. It's the spring caps. They're essentially two pieces of metal bonded together and a bad design. After a while the seal between the parts begins to come apart and leak air out, causing the front to drop like you are seeing. It's worse in the winter since metal contracts in the cold, opening up the gap for air to leak out.

I think the parts are around $75 each (one left and one right), but labor is around 2 hours or so.

- Mike

#5 ·
The thing that most people don't know about air suspension is that the airbags are not meant to be in temperatures below 40 degrees and about 90 degrees. This is most of the WORLD. You will start having problems only when you are in those temperatures but then it will cause permanent damage. I would recommend going to strutmasters.com and checking out the conversion kits. They are powder coated American made steel coil springs. They are guaranteed to last the life of your car and can withstand any weather. I posted the link below so you can take a look.

Ford Suspension Kits & Parts | "Find Ford Suspension for Less"

Good Luck!!!

#6 ·
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, WILL I BUY ANOTHER LINCOLN "WORTHLESS" NAVIGATOR!!!!!!!

I have owned an 2003 since 2006 and it was problems from the get go. Have had the stalling problem, replaced sensors as per this website. Problem never completely went away and after spending $80 for a computer diagnostic, found out #6 and #8 coils are going bad. Dealer will fix for $400 dollars of labor.

Front suspension airbags and a/c went out at the same time. Wife is ready to pull her hair out!!! A/C fixed but airbags will not function. Feels like driving a lowrider with every bump and pothole out there!!

WISH I COULD PUT A MATCH TO THIS LEMON!!!! TOO MANY BELLS AND WHISTLES AND NO WARRANTY!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.