Ford Forums banner

Cruise control problem

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Sterling_Six 
#1 ·
Hello, I currently own a 1999 Taurus SE and i am having difficulties with my cruise control. It no longer turns on when using the buttons on the steering wheel, but the horn works. I then ran the diagnostics on the system which displayed two blinks. If i understand this correctly, this means that one of the sensors need to be replaced on the break linkage. I am wondering if you had any advice on what sensor need to be replaced.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Hello, I currently own a 1999 Taurus SE and i am having difficulties with my cruise control. It no longer turns on when using the buttons on the steering wheel, but the horn works. I then ran the diagnostics on the system which displayed two blinks. If i understand this correctly, this means that one of the sensors need to be replaced on the break linkage. I am wondering if you had any advice on what sensor need to be replaced.

Thanks!

:hit::hit:

Hello and good day:

All modern vehicles have a VSS sensor (Vehicle Speed Sensor) attached to the transmission or an axle that generates a speed signal. This signal is used by the speedometer, cruise control, and some of the engine and transmission computers.

The following Information is taken from: 1999 Ford Taurus Cruise control trouble

Extracting and Clearing Codes (Self-Test Diagnostics)
WARNING: THIS TEST IS A KEY ON ENGINE OFF (KOEO) TEST ONLY THAT IS CONDUCTED IN PARK ONLY WITH EMERGENCY BRAKE FULLY ENGAGED.
1. Enter Self-Test Diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, ensuring engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator on the [COLOR=green !important][COLOR=green !important]instrument panel[/color][/color] will flash once to indicate that speed [COLOR=green !important][COLOR=green !important]control module[/color][/color] entered the diagnostic mode. Five additional flashes at this point indicate a defective speed control servo. Release the OFF switch.
2. Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST, and SET/ACCEL. IF THE "ON" SWITCH IS NOT DEPRESSED WITHIN 5 SECONDS AFTER ENTERING THE DIAGNOSTICS MODE, THE MODULE TIMES OUT AND THE PROCEDURE MUST BE STARTED OVER. The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is depressed. Press each switch in the sequence immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.
3. A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) indicates that the STATIC test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switch is defective. If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for [COLOR=green !important][COLOR=green !important]trouble codes[/color][/color]:
• 2 Flashes - BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied.
• 3 Flashes - Deactivator switch is open or circuit defective.
• 4 Flashes - Vehicle speed out of range.
4. Immediately after the static test has passed, the speed control servo will then perform a dynamic test automatically by actuating the throttle lever from 1 mm to 10 mm of travel from the idle position. During the dynamic throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of actuator cable, proper connection of actuator cable to throttle lever, and ensure throttle returns back to idle position. If improper connection and/or binding or sticking of actuator is observed, go to Symptom Chart. See: Symptom

#4 ·
:doh::doh:

I am truly sorry: And forgiveme.

• <LI ZDXo1="1" ACPU8="0">brake pedal position (BPP) switch <LI ZDXo1="1" ACPU8="0">clutch pedal position (CPP) switch
  • deactivator switch
The outputs of the speed control servo are the:
  • <LI ZDXo1="1" ACPU8="0">speed control indicator
  • speed control cable controlled throttle position

Principles of Operation
The speed control system is designed to maintain a selected vehicle speed between 48 and 200 km/h (30 and 125 mph).
Whenever the system is engaged and active, a speed control set indicator will be illuminated in the instrument cluster.
The brake pedal position (BPP) switch is normally open. When the brake pedal is applied with the speed control system engaged, the BPP switch closes (to battery voltage), putting the speed control in stand-by mode.
NOTE: A redundant brake deactivator switch is provided as an additional safety feature.
NOTE: The speed control module is integral to the speed control servo.
Normally, when the brake pedal is applied, the speed control module deactivates the speed control system. Under increased brake pedal effort, the deactivator switch, a normally closed switch, will open and remove power to the speed control servo clutch, releasing the throttle independently of the speed control module.
The clockspring provides the electrical interface between the steering column wiring and the speed control switches in the steering wheel.

Please follow this link on our form for further information, and reference:

http://www.fordforums.com/f138/cruise-control-162069/

Any further questions please do not heisate to ask ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.