Ford Forums banner

Transmission Problem?

5K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  stealthmode036 
#1 ·
The other day I pulled away from a light and after a half a block the engine was revving but the car was slowing down. It felt like the transmission was slipping. I downshifted into second and the car began to pull again. I shifted back up to drive and it seemed like the transmission was slipping. I stopped and pulled away and again and I felt it shift into second and it appeared to shift into drive and then the slipping began.

Any idea what is happening or damaged?

Thanks.

#3 ·
Thanks for replying.

I should have mentioned it has 70,000 miles, I bought the car at 50,000 miles and I do not know if the trans. filter and oil were ever serviced. I was hoping it was something simple.

Do you know if these transmissions are susceptable to problems at this stage?

Thanks again.

#5 ·
Have you checked the fluid level? I'd drop the pan, install a new MotorCraft filter (the gasket is reusable), an inline filter (see the TSB below), and an aftermarket drain plug kit. Then put in some decent aftermarket Dex/Merc, drive 100-300 miles, and take it to a shop that uses BG products for a flush. Finally, refill with real MotorCraft MerconV.

#6 ·
Have you checked the fluid level? I'd drop the pan, install a new MotorCraft filter (the gasket is reusable), an inline filter (see the TSB below), and an aftermarket drain plug kit. Then put in some decent aftermarket Dex/Merc, drive 100-300 miles, and take it to a shop that uses BG products for a flush. Finally, refill with real MotorCraft MerconV.

If that doesn't do it, you more that likely need a transmission.

#8 ·
The other day I pulled away from a light and after a half a block the engine was revving but the car was slowing down. It felt like the transmission was slipping. I downshifted into second and the car began to pull again. I shifted back up to drive and it seemed like the transmission was slipping. I stopped and pulled away and again and I felt it shift into second and it appeared to shift into drive and then the slipping began.

Any idea what is happening or damaged?

Thanks.
Sounds as tho your car and my car might be related....I have the same trouble and I have looked far and wide for a solution, I was told that the best thing to do is change the transmission range sensor, determines what gear its in and then sends to the computer. I changed mine yesterday, but it wont go now at all except in high rev and then its just enough to make the car roll. I have seen other sites on theis topic and I have been told that when you change the sensor then you should have the codes cleared from a scanner...I will try this Tomorrow when my mechanic is in the shop and hopefully this is all that could be wrong. Good luck and let me know if you find a solution and I will keep you updated on my progress

#10 ·
Thanks rtg143 I went out about 10 min ago and pulled the cables from the battery to see if that will clear the codes and solve my problem. I have seen same problems on this site as mine and when they changed the TRS they said they have drive 3000 miles with no trouble so I am hoping that this fixes it....but what they didn't say is when they replaced the Trs that they had to clear the codes...and they never mentioned that after replacing the trs that the car wouldn't move at all.........so I am hoping that there isnt anything more serious.
Keep your fingers crossed and I will inform you what happened onc I have tried to clear the codes

#11 ·
Well I tried to clear the codes by taking the cables off the battery for 30 min and when I hooked the cables back up it was the same as it was before I tried to clear the codes. I have heard from this forum on another post and it suggested that I needed to have a scanner to clear the codes is that possible?? Also they mention that a Trs could go bad if there was fluid leaking onto it...I had a belt for the water pumb blow last week and when they changed it I had the thermostat changed at the same time, so I notice when they pulled the hoses off the thermostat housing the fluid leaked all over the sensor and after the car was ready it started showing signs of trouble. and it eventually got worst....could this be the cause of the bad sensor?

Just thought that I would see if any one has had this trouble before.

#12 ·
If your car is a 2000, that should clear the codes. If that didn't, there is a hard code that resets as soon as it's hooked back up. Are you talking about the Trans Range Selector switch? Tha's mounted on the side of the trans. Coolant couldn't get to it from the top of the engine. I think checking for codes would be very helpful.

#14 ·
I know it will probably clear in 5 mi. but I've had some vehicles with different equipment installed that held power in the system for longer. I have a scan tool and clear with that. The water from the water pump would have a hard time getting back there but I guess it's not totally impossible.

Steve: We really appreciate all the help you give in here. I've learned a few tricks with your help.

#15 ·
just bought 97 marquis with 100,000 on it shifts hard into second at lows speeds 2nd to 3rd is smooth then if i slowly increase speed it seems like it wants to upshift and will if i give it more fuel but at times hesitates and shifts kinda hard like it dont know what gear it wants to go in.if i shut off od it dont do it .i had a 96 marquis and it was so much smoother is there a computer problem?i did change fluid and filter 3 days ago

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.