Ford Forums banner

2000 ZX2 won't stay running

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Bert 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 ZX2 that is showing no codes at all but here is the issue. I can start it up and leave it or drive it and it will be fine. However, once it is warmed up if I come to a stop or park it the RPM drop rapidly and almost instantly it will shut off. But if I am driving it you'd never know anything was wrong. I am used to working on older engines so when I lift the hood on this I am a little lost. Are there any ideas?

Thanks for anything!

#2 ·
I have a 2000 ZX2 that is showing no codes at all but here is the issue. I can start it up and leave it or drive it and it will be fine. However, once it is warmed up if I come to a stop or park it the RPM drop rapidly and almost instantly it will shut off. But if I am driving it you'd never know anything was wrong. I am used to working on older engines so when I lift the hood on this I am a little lost. Are there any ideas?

Thanks for anything!
:hit::hit:

Hello and good day:

There could be multiple causes ... IAC (idle arm control valve), MAS (Mass Airflow Sensor) TPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor).

You say there is now CEL (check engine light)??? So it shows not OBDII Codes...

I would start with checking the Air Filter First ... then ... Clean the Throttle Body with a good Throttle Body Cleaner ... you also can use the TBC to clean the MAS But be careful ... use a Cotton Swab ... spray some on it ... and lightly wipe the sensor.

You also can clean the IAC ... but you will need to take this unit off with a 8mm wrench.

Any other info ... please advise.

#3 ·
There isn't a CEL (I left that part out haha). I will check the air filter. Is there anyway I can test the IAC MAS or TPS? It just doesn't make sense to me why it only does it once it's warmed up. Even if I don't drive it and I let it sit there it will still shut off once it's warm if the accelerator isn't being pressed.

#7 ·
I am sorry if I wasn't clear about that. It will idle fine but once it gets warm that's where the issue is. Now if I am driving you'd never know but when I come to a stop light or sign it will either die right before I come to a complete stop or idle for 2 or 3 seconds then die.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.