Ford Forums banner

97 F250HD w/ 5.8L Fuel Hydro-Locks #8 Cylinder

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  qcy2k6 
#1 ·
I have a 1997 F250 HD with two wheel drive, an automatic transmission, and a 5.8L that is fuel hydro-locking the number 8 cylinder when cranking to run. The fuel has been entering the block.
This is what I done so far:
Removed the oil pan, cleaned out the oil /sludge, (truck sat for a bit without oil it hardened in the pan.) replaced the oil, filter and oil pan gasket.
Replaced all of the fuel injectors with rebuilt units. Tried to start the truck, never started, then still the fuel is completely hydro locking the motor in the #8 cylinder.
Removed the spark plug, cranked the motor to drain the fuel.
With the spark plug removed, unplugged the injector, cranked the motor and fuel filled into the #8 cylinder. The coil wire was unplugged.
Removed all of the spark plugs, turned the motor by hand to drain the cylinders/check. Found fuel in the #8. The coil wire was unplugged
Replaced the #8 injector with an old unit. Installed all the plugs, plugged in the coil and cranked to start. Motor started, ran badly for less than 5 seconds then died. Cranked the motor sever more times, motor once again hydro locked. Removed the spark plug and fuel leaked out of #8 cylinder. Turned the motor by hand to drain the fuel.
My question is what is the problem and how do I fix it? Thank you I am lost…

See less See more
#5 ·
I wanted to thank everyone that has contributed their expertise on resolving my problem.
THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!
I have solved this problem and discovered a new problem.
The old problem was the Fuel Pressure Regulator, the diaphragm must have been ripped, and fuel was entering the vacuum line and feeding back into the intake and then running into the #8 cylinder.
My new problem must have been created by the fuel hydro locking the motor. Upon starting the motor I soon realized large amounts of white smoke coming from the tail pipes. Yep, antifreeze/water in the exhaust, so it seems to me, I now have a blown head gasket. Once again, THANKS EVERONE for the help, I now know what I will be doing for Thanksgiving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.