Ford Forums banner

Back Air Shock Problem

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ralonzo 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone new to this forum any help you can give would be appreciated.

My GF has a 97 Lincoln Navigator. About a month or 2 ago we were driving it and we lost the back shocks. The Navi just sits on the tires now. I had smelled some burning but I think its because the vehicle is basically resting on the back tires. We got it home and haven't driven it since. I jacked the vehicle up and could see any visible problem, but I'm not much of a mechanic when it comes to stuff like that. I was wondering if anyone had this problem and if they knew A. what it could be and B. how much it might cos to fix?

Thanks
RAlonzo

People's actions no longer affect a warrior when he has no more expectations of any kind. A strange peace becomes the ruling force in his life. He has adopted one of the concepts of a warrior's life -- detachment.
~from "The Eagle's Gift"~

#2 ·
Lost the back shocks? Were they completely gone, as in missing, or were they still attached to at least one point? If you have over 75K or close to it on the vehicle, get the shocks replaced, front and rear. If you have air suspension, chances are high that you have leak somewhere in the system. It's unlikely that both springs would either crack, or break causing a drop is suspension travel, but it's also a possibility. A warn spring bushing can also be partly to blame, but normally you'd just notice that a bushing is gone by hearing a lot of metal to metal contact (creaking and groaning) when driving around.

First you'll have to look under the vehicle, take some photos if you feel you can't explain what you see, or what looks out of place.

#3 ·
That is a comon problem on the navigators and expeditions due to age. Either your air bags have dry rotted or the compressor has gone out. either way it cost a fortune to fix.

The best solution is to get the kit that I think belltech makes that swaps all that expensive air crap out for a spring set up in the rear and I think its fairly cheap concidering the situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.