Ford Forums banner

99 Windstar - Rear Air Stuck Cold & Full Blast

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Bert 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if this is relevant, but the ABS light on the dash has been on and off for a few months--more on than off recently. We assumed it was a bad sensor and didn't worry about it in the past.

Today, the electric odometer registered no number--just a bunch of dashes.

Today, I cannot use the air at all without the rear air blowing cold full blast. Neither the front controls or rear controls are able to adjust the flow or temp. The front air flow and temp is still adjustable, but again not without the rear air going full blast cold. It is winter though, so it might be pulling in outside air rather than it being a/c. This is a huge problem for the winter, because the front heat/defrost cannot compete with the rear air blowing cold full blast. I had it running for quite a while with the front heat going full blast, and it's barely noticeable. It might be effective enough to keep the windshield from fogging but not for keeping a comfortable temp in the vehicle. I have two little girls that have to sit in the rear, and it isn't safe at all. I wouldn't be able to have any air on, defrost being most important for safe driving, because it would freeze them.

Any ideas or suggestions before I take it to be looked at would be very much appreciated. I've spent the last several hours trying to find some information via the internet, and I'm not having very much luck. Anything even remotely related to my problem has seemed to point to a blend door actuator, but none of the problems I found matched well enough for me to be confident in that.

Thank you!
Jen

*The rear controls aren't literally stuck. They move; they just don't change the flow or temp.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think I figured out the problem with the help of a Ford tech on another forum. The Ford tech suggested checking to see if fuse 10 was blown. Turns out this may have to do with the recent Ford recall involving 1999-2003 Ford Windstars and leaking fluid that could result in a fire. The ABS light being on was an important indicator as was the resulting electrical issue.

#4 ·
Thank you Bert!

I was so sure this was all related to the recall. I took it to the dealer earlier today, and they told me these issues were not related to the recall part (meaning they weren't going to fix them). Unfortunately, they tried to rush me in and out as quickly as possible, and the person I was stuck speaking with had no idea what he was talking about. Because of that, I feel duped. Also unfortunately, it's Saturday, so I have to wait until Monday to call Ford, NHTSA, the local mechanic, and finally the dealer if I'm given more reason to believe that I was in fact taken advantage of.

*Speedometer is out too.

#5 ·
That's the way to do it when something like that happens. Sometimes the service manager doesn't know what the service advisors are telling people and they need to know. If they know and agree with the advisor, you have to go over their head and make sure it's handled correctly. Thanks for keeping us informed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.