Ford Forums banner

Ignition switch? Relay? 2000 Taurus

9K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  quadancer 
#1 ·
Search function on this site is too ambiguous. Our 2000 Taurus suddenly quit starting from the key; I jump it on the starter wire just fine. I can't find a starter relay to check unless the single relay in the black plastic box behind the battery is it, so I'm thinking either it's that or the switch - which we just spent $140.00 for a new key for, so I'm worried about replacing that.
I'll put a pushbutton in before I do that. :angry:

#3 ·
That chipset is what worried me the most. I hotwire the lead going to the solenoid and it starts just fine: I'm just getting tired of going under the hood with an allen wrench to start it and the wife can't do it.
I guess the fastest, cheapest solution is a pushbutton under the dash, but I hate to start jury-rigging if there's an easy fix.
Neutral lockout doesn't seem to be it; there is a lot of play in the shift lever, but moving it around in park and neutral while holding the key over doesn't give me a start.

#5 ·
Have you tried tapping the starter with a hammer when it won't crank??? I'd remove the aeroshield (black panel that bolts to lower edge of front fascia and the subframe) and using a test light check for power on the solenoid trigger wire terminal (the small wire) while someone holds the key in the start position. If you have power there when it still doesn't crank, disconnect the trigger wire and check for corrosion on the pigtail connector and the terminal on the starter. If you find corrosion, replace the pigtail connector, and clean the trigger wire terminal on the starter. If no corrosion is found, and you have power in the start position, you have a bad starter.

#4 ·
Can you hear the solenoid Pull in ( click ) when you turn the key ? If not my money is on the switch. Do the dash lights go out when you try to start ? They should. Do you have
anti theft ? You don't say. It's obvious there is nothing wrong with the starter or solenoid because you can " jump it out ". Your missing 12 volts from the key switch to
the starter solenoid. Most ignition switches on Tauruses are bad players. Hope you get
it fixed. Happy new year.

#6 ·
I may never know now...it just started working again, which tells me it's probably not electrical - and I found out that the dash switch has a plunger to activate- something worn there? But at least it's starting and I don't have a warm garage to work in. Also, it can be bumped every time at the starter wire, which tells me the starter is fine.
Thanx guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.