Ford Forums banner

03 sable shoots ps fluid out the cap

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  jwko 
#1 ·
Hello, my mom and dad's sable's power steering went out on them the other night. When we add the mercon transmission fluid it shoots out the vent on the cap. We've replaced the pump & rack and pinion. It is still shooting out fluid. We noticed when we were looking at the old R&P there was a sort of reducer in the threaded where the lines attach. First off, which hole does this fit in? And which way does it fit, tapered in out towards the hose or in. Were hoping we just inserted it wrong. If not does anyone else know why this is happening? We know there is air in the line most likely but don't know how. Thank you for any help

#2 ·
Hello and good day::hit::hit:

Does the fluid come directly out of the Vent hole on the Cap???

I have never see this happen before, unless the Pump is bad, and is building up pressure, or the pinion has built up air in the line.:shh::shh:

I will ask a few of our friends here, and see what they think..

Will advise further.

#3 ·
Did you overfill the system??? Did you allow the system to purge air from the system??? There otherwise must be a restriction in the lines or the cooler if replaceing the pump and rack didn't do anything.

#5 ·
Did you change the filter ? That system probably has V.S.P.S. Did you connect all wiring ? Call your parts store and have them fax over the exploded view of the rack. That should tell you where the restrictor goes and how it goes. Just looked at your post again. Put the reducer back in the same location and same direction as the old one.
What is the problem ?

#7 ·
Did you change the filter ? That system probably has V.S.P.S. Did you connect all wiring ? Call your parts store and have them fax over the exploded view of the rack. That should tell you where the restrictor goes and how it goes. Just looked at your post again. Put the reducer back in the same location and same direction as the old one.
What is the problem ?
IF it has a filter Chip, my 2001 Taurus SEL Didn't have one. And I think you mean V.A.P.S., or Variable Assist Power Steering, which starting around 1999 on it wasn't electronically controlled (SHO was the exception). They used a unique pump that flowed more at low engine RPM's and slightly less at higher RPM's.

#9 ·
My 96 Taurus has a filter. Under the car in front of the driver front wheel in the sub frame. Yes it is variable speed. The V.S.S. tells the computer how fast your going. The
computer tells the rack how much fluid it should get at any speed. Gives full assist in slow traffic and parking. Opens the solenoid and floods the rack stiffening the wheel to give you a better " road feel " at high speeds. My 96 has that also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.