Ford Forums banner

5.0 barely turning over, battery seams fine.

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Bert 
#1 ·
Yesterday leaving for work car turned over slower than usual. leaving work, slower yet. Tested my battery as I was leaving 12.22 volts. Car barely started. Tested while runing 14 and some odd volts. Altenater looks new in my 91 Vic and seams to be working fine. Stopped to fuel up and car wouldn't start, had to get a boost but made it home just fine once running. But a newer battery in when I got home that tesed at12.45 volts. Same issue. Arced my seliniod with a screw driver, turned over the same, almost not at all. Not a licenced mechanic but by my logic that should rule out that issue. Odd though, tested my old battery when it was out and read fine. Starter coil? Starter? Isthere a method to test my coil with a voltmeter? I know I could take my starter off and hook it straight to a bettry but with out a load it's not going to tell me much. Have a starter from a 92 5.0 H.O, but if I recall couldn't get that motor to turn over before i blew it apart either. I'll die a Ford fan but i'm gettin tired of turning wrenches on the Blue Oval
:angry:

#2 ·
It could be a poor connection or ground. It is possible the starter nedds replacement. If you want to rule the starter out, you could connect a jumper battery directly to the starter underneath the car and see if it turns over better. Without special testers, that would tell if the starter was bad. If it works good that way, the connections are bad somewhere.

#3 ·
Just took out the orig and tried a spare kicking around but I'm a little sketchy about it. neither are working in the car but both will spin when i jump them out of the car. I tried jumping it in the car as suggested but nothing. I have one more starter in my cougar that I know works. Might have to break down and rob a part from my kitty. can a starter spin but just have a massive lack of power? My engine was running like a top but could it have slowly seized up? Need to find a socket big enough so I can bar my engine. Or try to anyway.

#4 ·
As you mentioned in your first post, the starter can spin easily without a load. If you tried the jump I mentioned, then it's probably the starter. I've never seen an engine slowly sieze up. Not saying it couldn't. Wouldn't hurt to try to turn it with a wrench but I doubt that's it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.