Ford Forums banner

2002 Escape starts then stalls then won't start

18K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  edina01 
#1 ·
Hi. I have a 2002 Ford Escape XLT 3.0 with an automatic tranny. I bought it brand new. About two years ago, I started having problems with it starting, then immediately dying. Sometimes, after the engine cranking several times, it would start back up, other times it wouldn't start for a while. Replaced camshaft sensor and crankshaft position sensor with no luck. Got fed up and took it to the dealership. I had to drive it without letting off the gas the entire way to the dealership because if I let off the gas, it would have died and not started again for a while. The dealership replaced the IAC valve and cleaned the MAF. Oh, and prior to all this, I also had the throttle position sensor replaced. After replacing the IAC and cleaning the MAF, it was fine for a while, then we started having the same problem again. We took the IAC off and cleaned it, which worked for a little while. Now, I am having the same problem again, but it is worse. The other day, it died on me after starting and would not start for over 2 hours. The engine was turning over, but never catching. Had it towed home. Took off the IAC again, but it was not dirty and the spring inside was moving freely, but we cleaned it anyways...still no luck. Checked the fuel lines and it is getting plenty of fuel. We replaced the fuel filter not too long ago just as a general maintenance thing. The car didn't start till later the next night, about 24 hours after it died and would not start. Today, it acted like it was going to die when I started it, but it didn't. Any ideas? It seems like we have already replaced the most common things that would cause this problem. The spark plugs have already been changed, so we know it is getting good spark on all cylinders, unless the coil packs could be bad??? I'm guessing that would cost a lot to get fixed. Since the check engine light is not on, hooking it to a diagnostic computer won't tell us anything. I am getting fed up and thinking about selling it and getting something a little newer. The truck has 121,000 miles. Any ideas??? Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks. We have checked the ohm readings on the front three coils, all of those are good. Since we have to take the upper plenum off to get to the back three, we haven't tested those yet. We have had the plenum off so many times, we know it's a pretty easy job.

Update to my question. This problem usually only occurs after I have been driving the truck for a little while, let it sit for a few minutes and then try to start it up again. Could a bad coil cause it to act like that? Just wondering if that would make a difference in the possible solution. Thanks

#6 ·
hi, i have had the exact same problem on and off since mid march. fourth time back to the garage they said they can't find anything wrong, works just fine and i get it towed to garage or sit and wait for it to restart up. its very frustrating, have you figured out a solution to the problem, i'm afraid to go anywhere far from home anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.