Ford Forums banner

'02 Sable rear brakes

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  360ci 
#1 ·
I'm having difficulties removing the rear drum on the left side. Right side came off hard but left side just is not coming off. I found the "rubber' boot on the back plate that gives access to the adjuster screw but it's location makes it impossible to to get anything in there to back it off.

Any suggestions? Car has 185k, and I do not remeber ever having rear brakes worked on before.

#3 ·
A.K.A. a brake spoon. The Taurus/Sable rear drums are a PITA to back off, even with the correct offset brake spoon.

#4 ·
TBird is right. Total PITA. You need two tools. A small pick to push the ratchet arm off of the star wheel. Then an offset brake spoon to turn the star wheel to back off the shoes. When you're done, make sure you address the thank you letter to Bill Ford.

#5 ·
Strange, but I don't remember using a spoon tool for my '99 rear brakes last year. Different style perhaps? Or I had too many beers....

#6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

After not enough beers....I was going to replace the drums anyway, so I drilled a hole through the the drum and then used a screwdriver to back off the adjuster.

I think this is one of those designs made so that you take it to a shop/dealer to get it fixed. My local dealer quoted me $500.00 for the rear brakes. He probably knew what a pain it was. Cars not worth that much.

#7 ·
Damn, $500.... I'd definitely do it myself. My '99 is worth about $3K on the private market - no rust, decent mileage for year (avg 12K/yr), and interior is fully cleaned every 5-6 months. I've seen '99's as high as 5K with similar mileage, but most people are on the money hungry drug.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.