Ford Forums banner

00 4.6 Expedition... starts but shuts off right away

7K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  DeeK01 
#1 ·
I have a remote start paging alarm.... I upgraded m alternator to a 200amp yesterday to help power my stereo system a little better (over 6000 watts) When I got the new alternator on the truck will start... run a little rough sometimes, and 5 seconds later will shut clean off... I changed the alternator back to the stock 130 amp and its still doing it? The theft light comes on when I start it now and I have been told its the chip in the key... I have the box that relocates that key to under my dash and when I take the key out of the box it wont fire at all... so i dont think it is that.... also my headlights and parking lights quit working in the front.... any ideas from you Subject Matter Experts out there? I used to be a learning mechanic but have been in iraq for the better part of the last 7 years and I fear I am out of practice....
Thank you much
Jason:angry:

#4 ·
I have checked all the fuses... I will check the grounds at first light... thank you very much.... Also I got a diagram and it is the ECM relay that goes spastic when I turn the key on and after the truck shuts off.... it clicks probably 30 times if not more within a second or so as soon as i turn the key to run.... maybe ECM got shorted somehow? Is there a way to test or maybe reset it?
Jason

#6 ·
yah I have to get it there to get them to pull the codes..... i think im gonna buy a PCM at the wrecking yard tomorrow to double check it.... i checked all the wiring i had access to and replaced the relay and it still makes the PCM relay go haywire....

#11 ·
Yes I did I have been using it for months like that..... That was my initial thought so I removed the box completely and used the chipped (factory) key in the ignition and it starts and runs fine, then just shuts off.... could upgrading the alternator to a 200amp have even fried the PCM???

#12 ·
Just replaced my alt & had the same thing happen, but i had the air intake hose off (between the filter & TB), put that back on & after a couple times of starting it began to work just fine. I had to pull the hose in order to get the Alt off & it has what seems to be an Air temp sensor on the upper back side, could this be unplugged?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.