Ford Forums banner

2000 cougar 2.5l couple questions

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Bert 
#1 ·
so i just bought it from a friend. it has a few issues. power steering line is leaking like a waterfall. and the alternator fuse has popped. and the sunroof has stopped working. the mechanic suggested selling the car rather then fixing it. repair costs would be to high. so i bought it. ($550 and only 139k miles) im some what mechanically inclined so i can do the work myself. now for starters. the alternator fuse is located on the back side of the motor coming directly off the alternator power line correct? second, do i have to drop the headliner completely to change the sunroof motor? also, the mechanic said i have to drop the subframe/crossmember to get to/change the powersteering line? the one that comes from topside of the motor around the back. and lastly, what does the little wrench light by the sunroof button mean? the light is on and was just wondering.

#2 ·
There are 2 alternator fuses. One in line between the alternator and starter, the other #30 in the under hood fude box.

To remove the sunroof motor, you Remove the overhead console. Disconnect the sliding roof motor electrical connector. Disconnect the sliding roof panel relay. Remove the sliding roof motor control unit.

To change the power steering line, you do have to lower the subframe. If you get a Chilton or Haynes manual, it will help for more than just the line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.