Ford Forums banner

brake booster or master cylinder bad?

37K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Bert 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
How does one tell if either the brake booster or master cylinder is bad?

I'm sure something is wrong, I just can't tell what. When in park, I hit the brake pedal a couple times, rpm's don't move. When driving, if I hit the brake pedal really quickly a number of times and then hold it, no matter how hard I push the pedal, the brakes won't hold or stop the car.
Does that make sense? I'm not sure what the symptoms mean?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
With the engine off, pump the pedal until there's a high hard pedal. The hold the brake pedal down and start the engine. The pedal should drop slightly. That would let you know the booster is good and the hard pedal with the engine off tells that the master cylinder is good. Maybe yo7u have brake hoses plugged or wheel cylinders stuck. Make sure the basic brake system is good and all is working.

#4 ·
Ok, I got, the belt tensioner, idler pulley and new belt put on. No more squeeks from under the hood. The belt tensioner was the problem, it was tweaked outwards just enough to cut the belt. Anyway, all is fine now.

I check what you're talking about. The pedal does what its supposed to with engine off and then on. But still, when I go to brake suddenly, and push hard, it feels like something is failing...even if I don't pump the brakes like I mentioned before and just go hit the pedal hard, they don't want to stop and it can be scary. I bought a new remanufactered master cly and will replace I guess. I don't know what else it could be or how to diagnose anything else.
thanks

#6 ·
I don't believe the car has ABS...its a 1999 GS model Sable 3.0L 2V...but the gravel idea sounds good...but I have to find a patch, hmmm.

You think possibly, the rear drum brakes are not functioning? I changed the shoes out not too long ago, perhaps I did something wrong...adjusted them too tight??

#7 ·
What happens on the drum brakes is the wheel cylinders will rust inside and they won't move the shoes to work. Almost all cars in 1999 had ABS. You can also raise the rear, take the drums off and hav someone push the brake pedal and see if the shoes all move out.

#8 ·
Im know expert but with engine running step on brake pedal if its hardfrom the top down or does not move then vac bosster is bad if easy to push then vac is working but master cylinder is by-passing fluid inside which means bad master cylinder. Or you could havea bad wheel cylinder that is not allowing the system to build pressure and work properly hope this helps. I konw rhe feeling of steping on the pedal and no brakes it realy sucks when you have a loaded trailer behind you.

#9 ·
Ok, all of it is useful advice. Before i replace the mster cyl, Ill check brakes and diagnose further based on what you all have said.
thanks...and ill report back. There's another issue with the car, but one project/problem at a time (there's a steering wheel shimmy when driving, I suspect bad axles). Anyway, I'll get back to you all.

#10 ·
I had a similar problem with my '99 Taurus SE non-ABS, last year. Both rear brake cylinders in the drums were toast. Pads and the like were in great shape otherwise, but the cylinders required replacement along with the master cylinder which I had done at a shop. One of the springs in the drum were also shot, so the shoes would drag at times. It was more an annoyance than anything as I didn't notice too much decrease in braking performance, as the rears are more for stability rather than stopping force. I have a thread with some photos floating around...somewhere...

#11 ·
thanks for the input. I pulled the abs fuse, test drove the car and slammed the brakes, but no skidding... I'm going to check rear wheel cylinders, front pads and if all looks ok, just gonna replace the master cyl. If that's not it, brake booster.

I should note that tonight, I tried with the car on and off, hitting the brake pedal, holding it, different variations, rpms's didn't jump at all, almost non-existant BUT the pedal feel did change some. Master cyl it just might be!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.