Ford Forums banner

2006 Gran marquis emergency brake problem

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Bert 
#1 ·
I am having an emergency brake problem with my 2006 Grand Marquis where you press on the emergency brake in park and it goes right to the floor without engaging and no ratcheting sound is heard. It will release when put in gear though. I have never used the E.B. since new and this sure was a surpiize!. The car only has 31 thous on it and is out of waranty unfortunally. I wonder if ford would cover this problem out of warranty. The cables underneath are not sagging and i am sure it is in the ratcheting mechanism. The other P.B. release handle is also pushed all the way in. I am a retired mechanic and have checked all the possible causes but am too damn crippled to get under there and pu the P.B. Mechanism. :angry:

#2 ·
There could be several thing to cause that but more than likely it's where the clip goes on the cable when the cables are installed. It'll have to be raised to be sure. We've never had any unhooked like that on our fleet though. It's just the most likely place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.