Ford Forums banner

cam sync.quality

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  sc2000gt 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 taurus with 107000 miles and figured it would be a good idea to replace the cam syncronizer before it fails and possibly ruins the engine.It isnt making noise or anything but I figured I would replace it anyway.I bought a dorman part #689-117 and it came with a new sensor and the alignment tool.It was $31 from rock auto.All I can say is you get what you pay for!!! This has a very excessive amount of end play in the shaft and an excessive amount of slop in the bushings. I just bought a new motorcraft one, it was $92 but it is alot tighter,I would bet that the one that is in the car now with 107000 is tighter than the dorman one. I will be sending the dorman one back!!

#5 ·
Update- I just changed out the original cam synchronizer today. It wasnt too hard to do Just the plastic cover for the wiring harness, I just took tin snips and cut a notch in the left side of the bottom half plastic wiring harness cover so it would now bend up and out of the way and zip tied it to the throttle body.I also zip tied the wiring harness out of the way. The old synchronizer wasnt really worn much. It had very little play in it but I installed the new motorcraft one anyways so I wouldnt have to worry about.I was expecting it to be pretty worn from what I have read about online withpeople saying they fail sometimes at 80,000 miles.This one has 107,000 miles on it and probably wouldnt have failed anytime soon.I guess maybe it was in such good shape because I bought the car new and changed the oil every 3000 miles and used the motorcraft oil so it has been very well maintained.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.