Ford Forums banner

Can you help identifiy this engine

8K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  tinman351 
#1 ·
here is some pics, its in a 1968 fairlane 500, its not the original engine the codes i couldnt find online maybe i read them wrong. on the engine was 18T26548 and on the heads was EG403LO

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
the standing rib next to the distributor tells me 351M or 400, the only difference is the crank & pistons so it's impossible to tell the difference from the outside. some say you can measure the stroke through a plug hole with a piece of stiff wire, 4" is a 400 and 3.5" is a 351M

#3 ·
this may sound dumb but what is a 351m l know clevo and windsor but lve never seen the m before what is the diff as it looks like the almighty 351 clev yhat l have 4 off an 1 of them is the very last usa made an brought to aus by my father

#4 ·
Ford 335 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the 400 and 351M are in the same engine family but have a taller deck height than 302C & 351C, 10.297" vs 9.206"

wider intake, larger diameter main bearings, longer connecting rods, larger dia wrist pins, longer pushrods & oil pump driveshaft. engine mounts are also different

same cam, timing set, rod bearings, front cover, valve covers, fuel pump, oil pan & pump

they also share the same head gaskets & bolt pattern so any 351C head will bolt on but there were never any production US style large port 4V intakes produced for the 351M/400 so 351C intakes with spacers are used for 4V or aftermarket alloy head builds. CHI does list a 400 intake for their heads

#5 ·
sweet thanks tinman that helps , think now lm gona hunt down 1 too many ppl got the big block 351 clevos or the next size up . would l be able to use 351 clevo rods for alittle more ooomf an just a little head work to handle, the cops cant tell squat half the time haerd about a cop saying a person was running a 9cylinder in a registerd v8 car, they counted the coil to dizzy lead , so if they like that then ld love to have a little fun with the guessing game

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.