Ford Forums banner

351 windsor cam questions

5K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  George1861 
#1 ·
I just bought a 351 Windsor out of an 86 ecoline van which I'm just beginning to tear down. I've not gotten to the valve train yet but I'm almost positive its not a roller block based on the fact that its an 86. I'm looking to upgrade the cam and valve train so I have a few questions. I know that a roller cam won't work so I'm looking into a flat tappet cam. Will both a mechanical and hydraulic flat tappet cam work if this is not a roller block? Also, what are the advantages and disadvantages with a mechanical vs hydraulic cam?

#4 ·
Solids are old school high performance items. Unless you really want solids, or building something pretty wild, you won't need them. When you pull the intake...& you see just the lifter & push rod w/o any other clutter, it's not a roller. Rollers have extra stuff to keep the lifter from turning in the bores. You can unbolt a rocker arm, pull the push rod & lifter out & look @ the bottom of the lifter if you aren't sure.

#5 ·
Ok. I think that covers it. I should be able to recognize it when I take the intake off this weekend. If I go with the hyd cam, how do I find the right heads to match and what other valve train components would be good to replace if I'm looking to upgrade the heads?

#6 ·
You decide what comp ratio you want, then match the cam to the C/R. Some of the 90s GT-40 heads are good, better than other varyants of the GT heads. Not familular enough with the various ones to offer suggestions on them. If thinking early heads "How to rebuild your SBF" by Tom Monroe, HP Books has combustion chamber sizes for up to about '79.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.