Ford Forums banner

COMPASS not working

19K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  aughtsix 
#1 ·
Hi all..

My 2003 Crown Vic LX compass in overhead console isn't working, meaning it won't light up. I am currently going to check the fuses. According to manual, that fuse controls other areas and everything else on car works. So, I am not optimistic about the fuse being the problem. Any other places to start???
Many thanks!!

#2 ·
If the fuse is okay, check for power in the violet/orange wire. It should 10v or more with the key on. If it's okay check the resistance from the pink/orange wire to ground with the key off. It should be 5ohms or less. If they're both okay, you need a new compass module.

#3 ·
If you tap on it does it light? This is a common problem on Marauders since they all have overhead consoles with a compass. If you tap on it and it lights it is a bad solder joint. When I removed mine a resistor fell out of it after I opened it up. I re-soldered it back in and it has been working fine for about a year now.

#6 ·
Pulled console down. Pulled display apart to get to circuit board. Couldn't find anything loose. Plugged board back in to wiring. Started to wiggle stuff around to see what happened. Pushed the mode button (on circuit board) a couple of times and display came on. Wiggled around some more. Turned key off and on several times. Display always came on. Been working since last post. Probably not really "repaired" We will see. Thanks for your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.