Ford Forums banner

Ford tempo alternator belt problems

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
Hi Everybody,

We've been recently having an issue with our 1989 ford tempo. It has shredded several alternator belts in the last 6 months. After the last time the belt got destroyed I examined the alternator pulley and noticed that the alternator pully and the crankshaft that it connects to dont seem to be centered. That is, the alternator pulley is a little bit left of the crankshaft and I think it's causing the belt to rub. There is a diagram of my setup at this link:

http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/apjp02/2009-06-15_233648_tempo.gif

I guess my question is, can I adjust that crankshaft that alternator pulley is connected to? and would that cause issues with the rest of the belts in the system?

When I say the crankshaft I mean the pulley in between the alternator and ac compressor that runs both belts.
Also, when I say the alternator pulley is to the left I mean that it sticks out farther away from the engine like the pulley neck is too long. Probably a little less than a fourth of an inch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.