Ford Forums banner

2006 F-150 running bad

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Bluegrass 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 f-150 with a 5.4 3v 4x4. A few weeks ago it started running horrible. At idle it sounds fine but when you start accelerating it had no power and it pops and back fires. I just replaced all the spark plugs. Its been throwing codes for #5 and #7 cyclinders missing firing. I also had a code for the catalytic converter but i did clear it and it went away. Ive been doing some research and narrowed it down to the cam phaser being bad or the catalytic converter being clogged. Most people have told me if the cam phasers went bad it would sound like a diesel at idle as far as clattering. Mine does not. Thats why im leaning towards the cats. Please let me know if anyone else knows what might be the problem. Thanks.

#3 ·
This may sound silly but it happened to mine...try if you can to dissconnect the exhaust before the cats, see if it still runs rough...my cats where plugged, ie melted, a injector was failing and raw gas was leaking into cat..hope your spark plugs are in good shape..:shh:

#6 ·
Wow!.
First there are no plug wires.
Next there is no timing to set.
Next having two cylinders dead will pass raw gas to the cats in that bank whre it ignites overheats and melts them if driven very long.
Clearing the cat codes is only temperory until the PCM looks at them again and resets the code.
Have you checked on the cost of OEM cats and OX sensors and labor lately?
Ya just can't fool on these engines without knowing what your doing.
Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.