Ford Forums banner

Super poor fuel economy

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 Ford Focus SE Wagon with 215k on it. I bought it recently it was a fleet car. Carfax shows amazing maintainence records. On a full tank of gas all I can manage to get is 230 miles before the low fuel light comes on. When the car has a full tank I sometimes smell a gas smell but never while driving just at idle and only somtimes. Any ideas thanks

#2 ·
When fuel light comes on you usually have 50mls fuel left . I think tank capacity is 50litres , near enough 10 gallons . Going by that , which is only a rough guide , you would seem to be averaging at least 28mpg . MPG depends on many factors , like type of driving , is it stop start town work , colder weather meaning longer to warm up , year and mileage of car , tyre pressures etc. etc . Could see if any sign of fuel leaks whilst engine running and also check fuel cap / seal .

#4 ·
There was a check engine code when I first got it. It was a idle are control error whic was replaced and no check engine light ever came back on. I have put about 500 miles on the car since then and still no check engine light. This is a 4 cylinder and getting the same mpg as my bigger v8 cars its crazy. No puddles in my driveway so I know its not a fuel leak. Are the zetecs prone to poor mpg at high mileage? Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.