Ford Forums banner

01 vulcan serpentine squeal that wont go away!

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  360ci 
#1 ·
First post/ thread so hello all,
Sooo 01 taurus 3.0 ohv vulcan sqealing noise from serpentine area.
I first thought it was the idler pully, replaced and still there.
Belt replaced and nope still there
ok tensioner pully, bought it tried to replace it and could not remove the pully from the tensioner so i figure it needs to be pulled and i dont wanna pull the engine to do this...
I bought a new alternator and replaced it just to rule that out and yup still there.

The major diagnostic is i squirt the idler pully and the belt and no more sqeal.

My research has found this;
Not the sensor on the tranny side definatly serpintine side
might wanna try belt dressing but it sounds so grindy dry bearing noise
I am frustrated and looking for any advice before going to a shop

thanks in advance
Mike:hy:

See less See more
#3 ·
:priest: Thanks for your input!
Do you reccomend trying belt dressing???
or just replacing the belt as described
all the accesories spin true.. by eye they all look square while running
the tensioner hops around a little when running but nothing that seems un normal

Thanks again

#5 ·
Ahoy guys I had a squealing serpentine belt on my 2000 windstar when turning the power steering. The belt was ok not frayed or worn out so the obvious reason was the belt tensioner's spring was getting weak and was not applying enough pressure to keep the belt tight. I was in no mood to go spend a $100.00 for a new part. What I did was to remove the 3 bolts holding the alternator to it's bracket grabbed 6 flat washers and epoxied 2 of them together to give me 3 thick washers I then epoxied the washers to the bracket bolt holes so they would not fall off while reinstalling the alternator and voila no more squeal and $100.00 still in my pocket.Would of saved some time if I would of had thicker washers to start with but it's a long drive to town to get the right ones so I MaGivered what I had and raised the alternator enough to give some extra tension to the belt. The bonus to this is I didn't even have to remove the belt and the night mare of rerouting it through the maze of pulleys in a very tight space. Hope this quick fix helps somebody out.:hy::hy::hy:

#6 ·
I had a noise on my Taurus and replaced it with a Gates belt. In a couple of months it was noisey again. I got one from Ford and putting it on showed that it was a little shorte making much more thension on it. It never made the noise again.

#7 ·
Goodyear gatorback make good belts as well. I run a prestone one on my Taurus and have no complaints. make sure that the pulley and belt are running straight and true. The idler is generally the first pulley to wear out.

This is my 5.9L Durango. I replaced the PS hoses due to a leak and the noise went away. Three years and still original pump and pulley

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.