Ford Forums banner

Just bought NEW Ranger, high MPG!

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  360ci 
#1 ·
Since Rangers are done in N. America and the St Paul MN plant is closed, thought I better jump on the chance to grab a new one! I wanted an XL with cloth seats; so I did a search and found one at a dealer in E Wenatchee, WA. I went up there and bought it after $5300 in factory rebates and incentives. And a bank financed me 0% for 60 months as well!

The truck is Vista Blue Metallic. It comes with A/C and receiver hitch standard. I opted for the 4 cyl, manual transmission. I immediately made one mod; got rid of the stock rear tires (Continental 225/70/15) and put on high quality Toyo Eclipse 235/75/15. I wanted the slightly taller rear tires to decrease rpms on the highway a bit. It also corrected the factory speedo error; now it is really going 61.3 mph when speedo says 60. Before, it was travelling 58.4 mph when it indicated 60. (according to both my GPS units)

Importantly for fuel economy, I have the standard 3.73 final drive ratio rather than the ridiculous 4.10.

So far I am averaging 40.22 MPG. This is combined city and country driving. I hope to increase this after the break-in period. I will switch to full synthetic motor oil, transmission fluid, and rear axle fluid.

This Ranger is beautiful and runs perfect. I will be towing trailers and hauling loads of gravel, dirt, sand, rocks. And driving around empty for fun and general transportation. I would recommend anyone who's inclined, to get your new Ranger now while there is a decent selection out there!

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi Bert; I have not pulled a trailer yet with this Ranger. But I previously purchased a new 2006 Ranger with same engine and tranny. Yes, the 4 cyl Rangers pull heavy trailers better than most people realize. I have pulled a load of 5400 lbs; the issue is not really if the truck will pull it, rather one needs to be more concerned with STOPPING and braking and handling. Surely 5400 lbs is too much weight for this truck and I dont recommend it. Nevertheless, by using good sense and driving slow and slowing well in advance of stop signs, etc. the truck will handle substantial towing loads.

Wow, I waxed and polished it today, its just a beautiful color of blue. New vehicles smell so good and drive so tight!

#4 ·
I'd never pull more than a ton with a 4cyl, but I like to stay legal.... It's not worth the argument with the DOT. Perhaps on flat roads it will pull OK in 3rd gear at 50/55mph. After a year it won't be so 'tight' anymore if you regularly go beyond it's built limitations. The 4cyl/4 speed auto I had as a rental was nothing to write home about and was hard to keep in a straight line on poor roads, I couldn't imagine it towing it's own base weight let alone 1-2K lbs.

The Ranger options in Canada are horrid. I'm glad to see it GONE. The 3.73 is the only rear end with the 5 speed manual and the auto comes with the 4.10 gears. The auto is rated to tow more as the 5 speed manual is more light duty. I hate how manufacturers are throwing millions into their automatics when they're so inefficient even today, over a manual transmission. Ford should have thrown in the new 3.7L V6 into the Ranger with the 6 speed manual transmission. The downside is that the chassis probably wouldn't last very long without some major overhauling of its own.

At least the new Euro Ranger doesn't have CVT transmissions! GM is bringing back the Colorado to this continent with a DIESEL so the next year or so will be interesting if Ford chooses to get back into the compact/midsize truck segment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.