Ford Forums banner

EGR Tube nut Wrench.

30K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Bert 
#1 ·
Getting ready for big weekend project. Replacing the rear exhaust manifold on my daughter's 2003 Escape v6. Have line up most tools I need, but need the size of the EGR tube nut.
I heard 30mm or a 32 mm. Does anyone know for sure which one?

#2 ·
Not sure about the size but you should start soaking anything that you have to remove with penetrating oil.

I tried to replace an EGR valve on a '97 Ranger. The nut there wouldn't come off even after heat, penatrating oil(s) and 2/3 of it was chiseled/cut away. Tire and wheel well were removed. I had to saw the ERG tube at the exhaust manifold because that nut was rusted solid to replace the whole thing.

I even bought a flare nut wrench that fit the EGR fitting. Took it to work and had a welder heat/bend it to get around the dome shape of the EGR valve.

#3 ·
Thanks, for the advise. Will soak the nuts and bolts. Middle of March 3 day weekend.
The fun starts. Going to buy a set of Harbor Freight wrenches that include 30mm & 32mm so I can make a EGR nut wrench that was described on the forum for other vehicles.

#4 ·
Make a wrench??? I wonder if your talking about getting a box wrench and cutting a slot for the tube? That's what a flare nut wrench is except that it's made a little thicker, I think. They are normally used on standard hydraulic fittings.

#5 ·
Yes, talking about making a flare nut wrench that will fit the large nut
that holds the EGR Tube to the rear Exhaust manifold.
They make metric flare nut wrenches, but I have not found one that big yet.
30mm,32mm.
Saw a post where someone had made one, but different vehicle. Looked like good idea. More grab then using the open end.
Will wait for Warm Dry day and raise the vehicle and measure the nut and go from there. Thanks for posting wptski

#8 ·
The post I read was
Posted by "AlwaysFord" : How to make wrench for EGR VaLve downtube for several different models of Ford. Date 01-24-2011.
Listed in How to directory by djzx3.
Thanks to ALWAYSFORD for the Idea.
Have my caliper, just need the time to get under the Escape and measure the nut.

#9 ·
I just used a adjustable wrench on the fitting at the exhaust fitting on my '97 Ranger. Anything that big is long also. Do you have the room to swing something that's going to be long? I had the tire and wheel well removed, so I had the room. I've had to cut double-ended box wrenches in half in the past!

#10 ·
Will have to remove Right front tire and axle shaft to be able to remove the Alternator that is in the way of the exhaust manifold.
but since engine is sideway still not room,I do plan on having to cut the wrench to fit in the area. Checked with Dealer today, EGR Tube $50 + Tax and has to be ordered.
Hope when time comes it comes OFF OK and do not have to replaced it also.

#11 ·
Update, Job done, rear exhaust manifold replaced, converter exit hole was half plugged. Ended up using a 1 and 1/16 wrench with heat from MAP torch to remove
the EGR nut. Only one broken manifold stud, Buddy use angle drill & easy out to remove it. Also used "Free All" on all nut & bolts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.