Ford Forums banner

2002 escape gas mileage

14K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  classicjetta 
#1 ·
Okay, so I need to know something.

Got a 2002 ford escape, getting HORRIBLE gas mileage. I could have kept my expedition and done better than this.

I fill it up, drive it around, and before it even gets to 150 miles I have to put gas in it again because it's low. I doubt very highly this car should be getting 150 miles before it needs gas, that's obsurd.

What are some things that affect gas mileage? The truck shows no signs of any problems, no check engine light, no rough idle (it stays idling smooth at about 500 rpms), and no other signs that something could be wrong. It does sound like there is a small vacuum leak, but it sounds very small, and I can't see it affecting the gas mileage that immensely.

I know somebody else with a 2004 escape (same motor and everything), and they said they get close to 400 miles on a full tank before it needs gas again.

Any help would be appreciated, please. I got rid of my expedition because I wanted something with better gas mileage, and this one seemed to do it by look, but when driving it I see that's not the case.

See less See more
#3 ·
Howdy. Saying you get 150 miles per tank isn't enough info. What Escape is it? V6? 4x4? Automatic transmission? How big is the fuel tank? Have you actually calculated the mpgs? Are you sure your friend's Escape has the same engine? How big is your friend's fuel tank? How sure are you about the 400 mile number?

I'll guess it's a V6 w a 16 gallon tank. From what I've read, 18mpgs isn't unusual for the V6. If you're adding 15 gallons each fillup, then you're in the 10-11 mpg range which is low.

I have a well maintained 2002 2.0L 5MT. It typically gets 22-24 mpg around town w some freeway use. On long trips it gets 28-31 mpg. I calculate & track my fuel economy at each fillup. My Escape has a 15 gallon fuel tank & I typically fill the tank after driving 225-250 miles, at which time I usually add 10-11 gallons.

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply guys!

hurk, as to answer your questions, I have the 2002 sxt, with a 3.0l v6 4x4 and auto trans. My friend has the exact same car, with close to the same mileage on it (same year, same trim level, same options), and they suprisingly do the same thing I do to track mileage (I reset odometer at every fillup), and I asked them to drive it all the way to low fuel light, and it was registering at I think 375 (from actual visual inspection of the meter). I did the same thing with mine, and at like 157 or so it was asking me to put gas in.

I do mostly highway driving, so I shouldn't be getting mileage that low. I found out the vacuum leak is coming from the pcv hose, which is common, just haven't gotten around to getting it ordered yet.

And yes, I have the 16 gallon tank, just like yours. I drive with the 4x4 in 'auto' all the time and never turn it on, and keep away from the o/d button to make sure it stays on (which supposedly gives you better mileage on the highway)

#5 ·
Fixing the emission control systems is always a good idea. How much fuel are you putting into that 16gal tank when you fill up? Check the PCV valve, it's only a few dollars to replace it and should be done every 60-80K. Buying a used vehicle makes one unsure about a lot of things - when it doubt, replace it before it causes you grief or leaves you on the side of the road.

If the engine light is on, get the codes scanned. Most of the time it's a small evap leak (fuel cap), or O2 sensor that has failed. Get a fuel pressure test done, make sure there are no leaks. "Highway driving" doesn't mean anything, other than constant moving with limited stopping. Constant cruise at 65 vs 75 can lead to as much as a 20% increase in fuel use.

As you bought this used I'll assume that you changed out all the fluids?
- engine oil
- transmission service (not a flush)
- transfer case fluid (ATF)
- axle gear oil

If not, old fluid will present drag/friction problems. The transfer case only holds about a quart of fluid, it should be checked periodically even between services for leaks. Going with synthetic fluids can add longevity to the vehicle and lower friction losses (like freeing up HP that is otherwise lost to friction!).

Tires are at proper pressure.
Vehicle isn't overloaded with unnecessary cargo.
Clean the throttle body.
If unsure of when the spark plugs were replaced, replace them.
Check air filter and replace as necessary.

If you didn't get any previous maintenance history with the purchase of the vehicle, you have some work to do.

#6 ·
According to the service records I have on it, with the exception of the egr valve being replaced (Must have just went out before they sold it), it seems to have been kept up on the maintenance. It went through like a 300 point inspection about 3,000 miles ago, and the dealership marked it as good, so I really have no idea.

I did find where the vacuum leak was coming from. The upper plastic plenum has the elbow and rubber hose that connects to the pcv valve. The hose is cracked, and is allowing air to enter the system. I went to the dealership to replace the part but they said that it won't be in stock for another week so I have to wait.

#8 ·
I checked autozone, advance, napa and oreillys, all of them said it was a dealer only part. It's a special hose they said, that doesn't collapse, resists oil, and has plastic elbows and etc that connect them all together. I tried using regular heater hose but that collapsed after it got hot, and made the problem worse.

#9 ·
Stupid question... this will automatically shift into 4WD? Are you sure it's not stuck in 4WD? Also, Ford had some issues with the AOD on their full sized in the mid to late 90's, combine the two of them and you'll get some pretty crappy mileage.

#10 ·
Its only an escape so its not a fullsize, and usually the od light comes on. In automatic 4wd the 4x4 light comes on when it shifts into 4wd so im pretty sure its not stuck in 4wd. Im gonns fix vac leak to start with and recheck on next fillup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.