Ford Forums banner

AC problems???

4K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  es2004 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

My escape 2004, 3.0 V6, XLT, the engine gauge dropped down whenerver AC cool AC started, and it went up when AC was off. AC compressor seemed loaded hard by engine. Any clues to identify where the problems come from?

Thanks a lots.
Nguyen

#2 ·
If I'm following you right, the RPM's on the tachometer drop when the AC starts. To a certain extent, this is normal as the compressor does put a load on the engine and the idle will drop slightly and the PCM should adjust for it. Just how much are we talking and does the check engine light come on?

#3 ·
Thanks for your feedback. You are totally correct, the RPM on the tachometer drop when the AC starts. I have 2 escape, one is 2002 model, 3.0, one is 2004 model, i had check with the other one, 2002 one, and found the RPM is quite stable when AC starts. I want to identify problem before taking the 2004 one to the garage. Do you think it might have some problem with AC clutch mechanism?

#4 ·
1) How much do the RPM's drop and do they stay there or slowly return?
2) Is the air in the 02 as cold as the 04?
3) In the 04, when the AC starts, is the voltage fairly stable?
40 Is there a check engine light and have you had the 04 scanned for codes?

#5 ·
1. the idle is around 900 to 1000 RPM, when AC starts, it went down to around 700-800rmp, then return to 900 or 1000 in a sec
2. the air in the 02 much colder than in the 04
3. the voltage of the 04 stable, nothing abnormal
4. check engine light off, i have made scan but detected nothing.

#10 ·
IAC is the Idle Air Control valve. It adjusts the idle position of the throttle body when load changes during idle. It's not uncommon for the idle to dip and return when the AC kicks on, particularly if the AC is heavily loaded. The part that concerns me is that you have an 02 Escape that doesn't dip like the 04 and is blowing colder air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.