Ford Forums banner

2005 Taurus - Sticky Throttle

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
My wife's 2005 Taurus has begun to experience a sticky throttle. On occasion, the car will slowly accelerate without the need to depress the gas pedal.

We have found that we can "kick it down" by tapping the gas pedal like the old days of kicking the choke down.

I should add that the cruise control does not operate properly on my wife's car. The dashboard indicator works as expected, but the cruise control never takes control.

This article, posted in March 2012 says that the cruise control cable can become disconnected/twisted and cause the acceleration problem.

Some Owners Fix Their Ford Taurus Acceleration Problem On Their Own

However, this site says that the investigation into the 2005-2006 issue was closed in October 2012 with no recall:

Ford Taurus probed for stuck accelerators

Can someone clarify what's going on? If the cause is known and the problem still exists, why isn't there a recall?

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
I popped the cover off where the throttle and cruise control cable are attached and the cruise control cable was not hooked up. The bracket that is discussed in some articles was not broken and everything seemed normal except that the end of the cruise control cable was just hanging in air, like this one (not my car)

http://www.carcomplaints.com/media/complaints/images/f53c06d0-19da-1030-a1ce-d4882b41c61d.jpg

As I said, the bracket mentioned in some articles is not broken, so I don't know why the cable came off. I hooked it back on, tested the cruise control and it works fine now.

My wife never uses the cruise control and never noticed the self-acceleration problem until after I drove the car for a few days last week. It was I that tried the cruise control and found that it didn't work and then noticed the acceleration problem the next day. Maybe the cable was jammed up from non-use and popped off the first time I tried to use the cruise control. Maybe now that I freed it up by trying to use it, it'll stay hooked up. :idk:

As far as the acceleration problem, we won't know if it's fixed unless it happens again and then we'll know it's not. It's intermittent, so it's one of those where I'll never know if it's fixed until I know that it isn't. :fraz:

We'll just have to wait and see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.