Ford Forums banner

1986 Tempo (2.3L HSC)- Surging Idle, Stalling, Trouble Starting

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
I saw similar threads posted about Tempos and idle/stalling issues, but I wasn't sure how different or similar Tempos were between years so I started a new thread.

I have a 1986 Tempo 2.3 Fuel Injected (TBI) Auto trans vehicle and recently I started having troubles with it. Car sometimes won't start/have to continually crank it for up to ten seconds before it catches. It will sometimes run rough, then other times it'll idle fine until the car is "warm" and then it gets a surging idle at stops (jump from 1,500 RPMs to 2000 rpms then drop back and then jump back up). And it is common to have the pedal to the floor and have very little power.

I checked the car for vacuum leaks and replaced the fuel filter (my first 2 instinctual thoughts), and that wasn't the culprit.

This is the first issue I've had with my Tempo so is there anyone whose dealt with the early model Tempos who can give me a push in the right direction? I really appreciate any help! Thank you.

#3 ·
Yes sir. Plugs are solid (about a year old, checked them again along with wires and cap/rotor, and they're good). I haven't checked the timing. Does it require adjustment? I remember my old GMC (1985 S-15) said the computer controlled the timing. Is this different for Fords?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.