Ford Forums banner

03 Grand Marquis LS

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  GrandMarquis05 
#1 ·
I just recently got an 03 Grand Marquis LS with 100,000 miles on it. The radio works fine (Tape and CD), however, AM and FM have a LOT of noise and very little reception. I assumed it was the connection on the back glass or behind the radio. Both connections are solid and clean. While I had the radio out of the dash, I plugged in an external antenna I had laying around from a pontoon boat. It had the same results as the antenna in the back glass. Most of the time all I hear is static. Every now and again, I'll hear music or talking. The weirdest part, I have the radio tuned to an FM country station. But I have heard rap music, sports talk, and I have also heard the call sign for another radio station; almost as if I was changing or scanning through radio stations. Anyone ever experience anything like this?

#2 ·
I have never seen or heard of one of these radios doing this myself. I'm assuming that you are talking about a factory Ford head unit, a.k.a a DIN radio? If so, the only thing I can think is to replace the unit and/or get a hold of another DIN radio and hook it up and see if it also does the same thing. Then you may have a better idea of whether it's the antenna or the radio itself. It shouldn't be that hard to find these in junk yards, so you can get it for cheap hopefully. DIN radios are in lots of Ford vehicles, just make sure your wire harness fits it. Maybe you could find a new/used/different wire harness from a CV/GM preferably from 03-05, to try in your GM also, might be worth checking into too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.