Ford Forums banner

Jaguar F1 car unveiled

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  The_RAT 
#1 ·
Jaguar Racing today unveiled its 2002 challenger, the Jaguar R3, opposite its factory in Milton Keynes (UK). Building on lessons learned in 2000 (with the R1) and 2001 (R2), this season’s challenger is a more adventurous design than either of its predecessors. “The Jaguar R3 has been conceived with the aim of achieving outstanding aerodynamic efficiency,” explains team principal, Niki Lauda.

“We have not compromised the more traditional race-car attributes of low weight, low centre of gravity and good torsional stiffness. Its distinctive high-nose shape is the result of considerable wind tunnel research and the innovative use of laminates and construction methods. Aerodynamically, R3 will generate more downforce than R2 and exhibit improved sensitivity. As soon as we get our new wind tunnel going from next month, we will be able to begin a programme that will see us improving throughout the year.

“I'm confident we've made a real step forward with R3 and in a few days time our drivers, Eddie Irvine and Pedro de la Rosa, will take to the track in Barcelona for what promises to be a very exciting day for the team.”

R3 was designed by chief designer, John Russell, and chief aerodynamicist, Mark Handford, and has been produced by their respective teams under the watchful eye of technical director, Steve Nichols. "This year, our target has been simple - to make the car go as fast as possible,” says Nichols. “That sounds obvious but what I mean is that we've been more adventurous in our design philosophy this time.

"We've concentrated on aerodynamics because we feel we were a little behind the game, aerodynamically, in 2001. Don’t misunderstand me, we have some very good aero people at Jaguar Racing, but they have been hindered by the fact that our wind tunnel has been located in California all this time. Now that we have taken steps to rectify that situation, our whole operation will become easier and on par with how our competition operates.”

Although the R3 looks dramatically different from its predecessors, the R2 had significant strengths and so the slate has not been wiped completely clean. "By comparison, R2 was arguably overly robust in some areas," recalls John Russell. "Therefore, with R3 we have been able to focus on reducing weight and improving aerodynamic performance, while building on the already proven qualities of the suspension, engine and transmission."

The car is scheduled to run for the first time at the Circuit de Cataluyna, in Barcelona, on Tuesday January 8.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The new Jaguar looks exactly like Ferrari's F2001 car.
Don't you think? :wtf2:

See less See more
#10 ·
Jaguar launches their 2002 contender [04/01/02 - 12:47]

The new R3!

he Jaguar Racing team unveiled their 2001 challenger, the R3, at Futura House Milton Keynes this morning in front of the anxiously awaiting media and guests. The new car, complete with an upgraded Cosworth V10 engine was proudly displayed by drivers Eddie Irvine and Pedro de la Rosa and will have its first official outing in the hands of Irvine and de la Rosa at Barcelona's Catalunya circuit next Monday.

"The Jaguar R3 has been conceived with the aim of achieving outstanding aerodynamic efficiency," team boss Niki Lauda explained. "We have not compromised the more traditional race-car attributes of low weight, low centre of gravity and good torsional stiffness. Its distinctive high-nose shape is the result of considerable wind tunnel research and the innovative use of laminates and construction methods. Aerodynamically, the R3 will generate more downforce than the R2 and exhibit improved sensitivity characteristics. As soon as we get our new wind tunnel going from next month, we will be able to begin a program that will see us improving throughout the year. I'm confident we've made a real step forward with R3 and in a few days time, our drivers Eddie Irvine and Pedro de la Rosa will take to the track in Barcelona for what promises to be a very exciting day for the team."

After taking over from Stewart at the end of 1999, the R3 is the first car actually built from scratch by the design team made up of Technical director Steve Nichols, chief designer John Russell and head aerodynamicist Mark Handford. Lighter and aerodynamically improved, the new car should power the team up the grid and hopefully into the top six before the end of the year.

"This year, our target has been simple, to make the car go as fast as possible,” Nichols explained. “That sounds obvious but what I mean is that we've been more adventurous in our design philosophy this time. We've concentrated on aerodynamics because we feel we were a little behind the game, aerodynamically, in 2001. Don't misunderstand me, we have some very good aero people at Jaguar Racing, but they have been hindered by the fact that our wind tunnel has been located in California all this time. Now that we have taken steps to rectify that situation, our whole operation will become easier and on par with how our competition operates.”

#11 ·
The Jaguar team today unveiled it's 2002 challenger, the Jaguar R3, opposite it's factory in Milton Keynes in England.

Building on lessons learned in 2000 with the R1 and 2001 with the R2, this season's challenger is a more adventurous design than either of its predecessors. R3 was designed by Chief Designer John Russell and Chief Aerodynamicist Mark Handford and their teams, under the overall direction of Technical Director Steve Nichols.

Niki Lauda has set his aim to finish in the top six of the constructors' championship - last season saw the team finish eight with their best finish coming from Eddie Irvine at Monaco.

"The Jaguar R3 has been conceived with the aim of achieving outstanding aerodynamic efficiency." explained Niki Lauda, Jaguar Racing's Team Principal.

He added. "We have not compromised the more traditional race-car attributes of low weight, low centre of gravity and good torsional stiffness. Its distinctive high-nose shape is the result of considerable wind tunnel research and the innovative use of laminates and construction methods. Aerodynamically, R3 will generate more downforce than R2 and exhibit improved sensitivity characteristics. And, as soon as we get our new wind tunnel going from next month, we will be able to begin a programme that will see us improving throughout the year," added Niki. "I'm confident we've made a real step forward with R3 and in a few days time, our drivers Eddie Irvine and Pedro de la Rosa will take R3 to the track in Barcelona for what promises to be a very exciting day for the team."

Steve Nichols' aim for the Jaguar team for 2002 is clear and blunt, to make the car go as fast as it can. "This year, our target has been simple: to make the car go as fast as possible. That sounds obvious, and it is, but what I mean is that we've been more adventurous in our design philosophy this time. I guess we've concentrated on aerodynamics because we feel we were a little behind the game, aerodynamically, in 2001. Do not misunderstand me: we have some very good aero people at Jaguar Racing, but they have been hindered by the fact that our wind tunnel has been located in California all this time. Now that we have taken steps to rectify that situation, our whole operation will become easier and on par with how our competition operates."

As is self-evident, the R3 looks dramatically different from its predecessors. But at its core, R2 had significant strengths so the slate has not been wiped completely clean. "By comparison, R2 was arguably overly robust in some areas," recalls John Russell. "Therefore, with R3 we have been able to focus on reducing weight and improving aerodynamic performance, while building on the already proven qualities of the suspension, engine and transmission."

Cosworth Racing, the most successful engine builder in Formula One history, will continue to develop the CR-3 V10 engine that powered the Jaguar R2 last season. Nick Hayes, Managing Director at Cosworth Racing takes up the engine story: "I'm confident that, with the right development, the Cosworth CR-3 V10 engine will make significant further gains in 2002," says Hayes. "For example, the block and heads incorporate new design features, and we will introduce further modifications throughout the coming season. We are looking to improve not only ultimate power but also power-curve width, driveability and packaging. Indeed, despite the fact that CR-3 is an evolution of CR-2, we have nonetheless significantly lowered its centre of gravity without having had to resort to a wider V-angle or compromise its excellent packaging qualities".

#15 ·
yup it was well known that bobby rahal didn't go all out to build a safe car he just wanted it to be reliable and hoped to get some speed out of it as they went along

of course that was stupid because its better to make a fast but unreliable car and work on reliability problems

jag have now switch from texaco over to castrol who also work with bmw so that will be of some help and arrows are using the cosworths this year too so that is another plus

and jag are making andre lotterer official test driver so now they got 3 heads instead of 2 and maybe courtney will get a few more runs in it this year as well

just hope now that the other teams wont make as good as imporvements as jag have made or at least think theyve made

#16 ·
All f1 cars look the same to me. I have a picture of the second gen jag that i took from this years melbourne motor show, and I must say it looks the exact same as this to my untrained eyes.
I wish Jag all the best this year, I'm still debating whether to go to the f1 this year. Price is a bit stiff, i think 70 bucks a ticket, ahh well we'll see.

#18 ·
Adam W said:
I read somewhere that they were calling the Arrows cars Arrows-Ford. I don't know if this is correct, usually these smaller teams use a sponsors name as the the engines make. eg Sauber-Petronas.
I think you might be right dude. I remember reading that Arrows was going to use the Cosworth engine or something alone those lines. Not sure if it went ahead though.

#19 ·
they are called Orange-Arrows unless something has happend in the past few days and they have decided to use the ford name and yes they are using the cosworth engine though there were a few little things they ahd to sort out and this is why arrows will not be taking part in the first test days of this year i think price for the engines was the problem

but its good for jag because they know they have teh same engine and if they dont beat arrows they know they have a problem and part of the deal is jag get all of arrows data or something

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.