Ford Forums banner

Subwoofer question

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  ghentboy 
#1 ·
I've been given 2 15" subwoofers, which i want to put to good use.

one of which is a "kicker" and the other a "peavy, black widow, super structure"

I dont know if the peavy is meant for this aplication, i think its meant for a base guitar.

but anyway... what sort of amplifier would i need to power one of these? would it need to be in a box, and how would it connect up to the sterio in my NF?

both speakers are brand new. if the peavy can be used aswell, i'll do it, but i know bugger all about it.

thanks

#2 ·
That peavy black widow(originaly EV electro voice!)is a heavy duty PA speaker! Yes u could use it for a sub...if u got 5+ cubic ft to spare in your car!
Use the Kicker, which model is it? Does it say "solo baric" on the front of the cone?

#3 ·
the kicker is a "c15a competition 4ohm"

its a coupla years old, but its never been used..

as for the peavy, how big is 5cubic feet? should i just make a box for it and use it for my sterio inside the house? would it work like that...?

can the kicker be free air, or does it need to be in a box?

#4 ·
Stick the Kicker in a box of around 80-100ltrs sealed, a ported box would be to big for practical purposes.
As for the peavy sell it, they belong in PA systems or for instrument amps!They are made to cover a large frequency range unlike subwoofers...
5Cubic ft=141ltrs
1cf= 28.3ltrs

#5 ·
Thanks for the info...

I'll get stuck into it after i finnish my new exhaust

Interesting that the peavy needs a box the size of a family size fridge to work properly... ill never be able to sell it, so i might slap together a box and see what it sounds like on the home hifi. failing that ill put it on the virge for bulk rubbish collection :)

#7 ·
ive got a data sheet for it:

"the 1505dt-4 is a 4 ohm, 15" black widow/super structure speaker with a curvilinear kevlar impregnated cone for extended smooth responce. when used as a base guitar speaker, the high frequencies have a litte extra "bite". Long voice coil maintains linearity at high drive levels"

this dosnet mean jack to me, but im sure someone will understand it. got all the parrameters and crap for it too, dont understand that either..

im in perth if you want it....... make me an offer i cant refuse

#9 ·
ghentboy said:
ive got a signat ESW15 in about a 85 - 90 L box (sealed).. its a pretty big box, but its worth it.. i hit 139 db at 40 Hz (before the rest of my stereo was stolen :/)
BUT the box was so big they coudlnt get it out of the boot!!! :)
how did the box get in there in the first place, or is it a spare wheel job?
I had a xf sedan with a 120ltr(inside the box!)ported box that was piss easy to remove after the bolts were removed from under the car! it didnt leave much room...a coke bottle and a pair sun glasses was about it!
I'd like to see them get my new sub box out of the ute:s6:(Umm, when I finish it...:s6:)

#10 ·
rolfy72 said:
how did the box get in there in the first place, or is it a spare wheel job?
I had a xf sedan with a 120ltr(inside the box!)ported box that was piss easy to remove after the bolts were removed from under the car! it didnt leave much room...a coke bottle and a pair sun glasses was about it!
I'd like to see them get my new sub box out of the ute:s6:(Umm, when I finish it...:s6:)
Well it fitted quite well (After dismantling the boot lock etc) before i carpeted it, as when i designed the box i didnt take the carpet into account.. But, once carpeted, even with the boot lock taken off i have to strip some of the carpet out of the boot and sometimes pop the boot seal off... if i wedge a little carpet under it once in it doesnt move at all (not bolted down).. as far as width goes it only takes up half the boot (i was trying to maximize boot space, thats why i made it so tall!!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.