Ford Forums banner

Budget Build-up. Please help!

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  MadMax 
#1 ·
Hello! Newbie here.

A good friend of mine is looking to get his XR8 up to speed. It’s an EB XR8 with some goodies he installed last year

*Trick Flow Heads. Ported & Assembled By Ben Gatt.(Super Flow Heads)
*Intake = GT40 (The better one, I believe)?
*Cam = SVO F303.
*Exhaust Duel 2.5" S/S with Pacemaker tri wires.
*T/C 2,400 rpm Dominator
*Diff Nodular Iron Detroit Locker with 3.89.

Well, he did all this and it ran a best time of 14.5 @ 97mph. It takes a week to get to the 60' marker and then it gets going. Oh well! It’s only a stock bottom end.

What is a good & strong “Stroked” rotating assembly for this engine? Budget priced, please. Any other budget tips would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the boards Peter! Good to see another migrant (or vacationer if you prefer) from the Dark Side :s6: (I'm ELXR8 on LS1.com, for reference sake!)

Not sure I can help you out with a strong and cheap bottom end freshen up.. I have yet to come across such a thing! :dead: There are plenty of great stroker buildups that can be done for less $$ if you can do a lot of the work yourself, or with help from mates in the know. Don't settle for a second rate crank, they are notorious for short lifespans and big $$$ in fixes.

Perhaps some of the already-stroked lads can step in here with some particular names / specs? :s6:

#5 ·
Plan B said:
Hello! Newbie here.

A good friend of mine is looking to get his XR8 up to speed. It’s an EB XR8 with some goodies he installed last year

*Trick Flow Heads. Ported & Assembled By Ben Gatt.(Super Flow Heads)
*Intake = GT40 (The better one, I believe)?
*Cam = SVO F303.
*Exhaust Duel 2.5" S/S with Pacemaker tri wires.
*T/C 2,400 rpm Dominator
*Diff Nodular Iron Detroit Locker with 3.89.

Well, he did all this and it ran a best time of 14.5 @ 97mph. It takes a week to get to the 60' marker and then it gets going. Oh well! It’s only a stock bottom end.

What is a good & strong “Stroked” rotating assembly for this engine? Budget priced, please. Any other budget tips would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Peter
These the only mods?? What about larger t/b;maf;injectors to suit the mods done??

I'm no expert,however my enquiries led me to ask you these questions.
I'm sure if the right people read this they will confirm.

Jon :angel:

#6 ·
Plan B

Sound like your friend has a decent combo there but I'm not sure about the cam. A good custom job should see some more power found. Also what MAF, throttle body and injectors is he using? Please dont say stock!

As far as his times go the 97mph isn't bad but 14.5 sound a bit slow. What are his 60' times?

Also has the GT40 seen any porting in the lower? Hopefully it was at least port matched to the heads. The GT40 is a really good street intake. If he wants more mid range and top end an Edelbrock Performer would certainly be an improvement but best to know what the car's intended use is.

Tell your friend to get some sticky tyres and practice those launches. Anything over 2.0 in the 60' simply wont do!

#8 ·
Thanks guy's,

Indeed, the car does have a larger T/B and injuectors. Not sure of the size?

Custom programing was carried out at Chiptorque both in NSW & QLD. 202 rwkw.

As for practicing the launch? No issues there, it doesn't wheel spin.

The engine should all fall into place, once he gets some cubes, hence the question.

#10 ·
Ask at the front of the same building that Benny Gatt's bussness. They sell stroker kits for around $2500 Eagle or Scatt, Ross pistons etc .Tho T/W [Mahle] pistons have correct valve reliefes for Twisted Wedge.In my opinion I'd go for a 330 strocker less side load on piston with the short rod /angle etc. Oil usage I hear is an issue but machine work and assembly and CORRECT rings it's o.k The oil control rings go over gudgeon pin..Not so on 330..

I guess the 3:27 rear ratio won't help in 1/4 mile times pluss I think on E.B's they had a taller 1 st gear ratio...

#12 ·
Talk to the guys you buy the stuff off. Another little piece of important is a mains stud girdle,it holds the main bearing caps together.The webing on a 5 Ltr is not ultra strong [but can take 500 h.p] The 330 is not that common for everyone wants the biggest, but for big revs, I would say 330 safer.

Modern pistons/rods are actually lighter than the current std rotating assembly. A steel crank is said to be of no great value due to rev's being under 6250 [efi] and the block is the limiting factor any way as far as strength go's.

This subject has come up on www.corral.net then windsor/Mustang forums
X tech forum is interesting...

G
#13 ·
Re: Re: Budget Build-up. Please help!

dragonV8 said:

These the only mods?? What about larger t/b;maf;injectors to suit the mods done??

I'm no expert,however my enquiries led me to ask you these questions.
I'm sure if the right people read this they will confirm.

Jon :angel:
I concur. 65 - 70 mm tb, 24 - 30 lb injectors, 70 mm maf, and an upgraded computer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.