Ford Forums banner

McRae eyeing Bathurst - Taken From Motorsport News

1K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  WHISKIE BOY 
#1 ·
FORD's key World Rally star Colin McRae has declared that he wants to drive in the Bathurst 1000.

The 1995 WRC, known for his love of road dirt bikes and jetskis, has said the legendary race is on his 'to do' list after having watched the race on TV and video in Britian over the years.

"It is an amazing track, like the best tarmac stage you could ever imagine with 30 or 40 of those 600 hp V8 monsters all around you," said McRae.

"Then you get rain hail and it is just like doing a rally," he added.

The World Rally calendar in 2002 provides the best possible window of opportunity for a McRae Bathurst drive to happen.

The Scot will be competing in the Rally of New Zealand on the weekend before this year's Bathurst, and his next rally is Rally Australia in Perth two weeks later.

There could be some Ford teams clamoring to sign the high-profile Scot for their Bathurst lineups, as the publicity alone would be phenomenal.

See less See more
#2 ·
That would be great I reckon. Neil & Rick Bates are two rally drivers that have already put in an appearance at Bathurst, Neil I think was sharing the FTR car with Wayne Gardner and were leading the race for a while before mechanical gremlins kicked in.

#7 ·
That would be great if this were to happen. I would be interested to see how it workd out. Maybe If he's successful enough He might score himself a few drives a year.

#8 ·
Don't have to ask me twice about this....I think it'd be great! I've seen videos of McRae driving around Silverstone and he set very competitive times. Would be interesting to see how he does in an endurance event! But certainly would be good publicity! If he does, I know who I'll be going for!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.