Ford Forums banner

Timing Chain - Replace When ? 4Litre

52K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  EDFUTURA 
#1 ·
Re - my drama with the Timing chain, tensioner guide self destruct, it appears the Timing Chain is supposed to be checked/replaced ant 120,000 - 150,000 km.

It got the car back yesterday with all the work done, including a complete head overhaul & upgrade, including some valvework & a slight increase in compression ratio. As well as a new tensioner, chain and guides fitted.

WOW, so nice to have the valve timing match the bottom end !

I didn't realize just how much torque was missing, not to mention outright power.

Even the mechanic got a surprise on the test drive.

It seems obvious, the timing chain replacement interval is more because of the weak chain guides than just the timing chain stress/stretch problem.

Question - All you EXPERTS. What is the correct intervall for replacement of the Timing Chain ?

:s5 Be kind to your Ford

See less See more
#2 ·
Ok i've asked about this when my car was at 160k, and seems everyone "mechanics" said that timing chains on falcons last a long time ie over 300k. It's timing belts in cars like Camry's that need to be replaced every 100k.

Now at 200k my car is still running fine but i am getting abit of clattery noises at startup and when the weather is hot.
Perhaps it's timing chain and guides.

#3 ·
EF_Falcon_GuY said:
Ok i've asked about this when my car was at 160k, and seems everyone "mechanics" said that timing chains on falcons last a long time ie over 300k. It's timing belts in cars like Camry's that need to be replaced every 100k.

Now at 200k my car is still running fine but i am getting abit of clattery noises at startup and when the weather is hot.
Perhaps it's timing chain and guides.
There is no 'change over' time for the Falcons timing chains that I am aware of.
I recall Ford saying they used chains precisely for this reason, its the rubber belt driven cams that need replacing.

EF_Falcon_Guy
Your problem is quite likely the valve lash adjusters, its easy enought to work out if you listen to the donk.

Kieron

#4 ·
Timing belts need to be replaced every 100,000kms. It harder to say with timing chains coz your driving style can affect things there too. The chains, guides and gears do wear down over time though. It just depends on the customer, most people dont care as long as it goes.

#5 ·
A friend of my brother operates a fleet of taxis and reckons that their Falcon timing chains and guides have lasted something like 400 000 km no sweat (albeit with VERY heavy grooving to the guides) - but I reckon the 120 - 150 000 km interval sounds good.

I've had the actual tensioner plunger locking sleeve break up which jammed the plunger (ie. tiny bits of metal got into the bore around the plunger) - result was that the engine sounded like a diesel at idle - it was a very different noise to lifter rattle - it seriously sounded EXACTLY like a diesel troopy.

Another thing I've struck is when a mechanical shop did my head gasket and put a timing set in as well (I figured it worth doing at the same time - car had 130 000 on the clock), they used a "rollon" type chain - ie. with a joining link - but put the circlip the wrong way round!!! (it gets flicked off as soon as the link passes over any of the guides). It was pure dumb luck that I found it, because I pulled the rocker cover off just to have a sticky beak and noticed something odd about the chain where it came over the top of the cam gear. When I examined it I realised that it was the joining link about an N-th away from pulling thru - ie. the front side of that chain link was flush (pins not protruding at all). My blood still freezes when I think how close to disaster I was and just how totally LUCKY it was that the link was where it was.

EF_Falcon_Guy, you should be able to tell where the noise is comming from fairly easily using a screw driver with handle to your ear and other end pressed on various places of the engine (watch out for moving bits tho!!!). Use a reasonably large and long screwdriver of course and preferably one that has the metal part right thru the handle - but a normal type with the metal part only half way or so thru the handle will still work fine. If it's lifters then do an oil change - and if you're using synthetic then change back to a good quality mineral oil.

#6 ·
Well did an oil change today, looks like a set of hydraulic lifters will be changed soonish.

I'm guess the hydraulic lifters is the actual rocker assy. Also does the cam shaft it self wear on falcons?

#8 ·
The lifters/lash adjusters are separate items but they fit inside the ends of the rockers. Lookout though - they cost something like $20 or $25 EACH!!!

EF_Falcon_GuY, the cam will almost certainly be all right - the I6 rockers ride on the cam with rollers - so the cam suffers bugger all wear normally. You probably shouldn't panic too much about your lifters - a little bit of noise on startup and at idle when it's hot isn't too much of a drama - the important thing is that the noise goes away when the engine is revved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.