Ford Forums banner

Dim Headlight (One not the other)

12K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
The other night I noticed one of my headlights was dimmer than the other, thought the globe must have been on the way out so I replaced the bulb.

Thought this would have fixed the problem but just noticed that the light is still dim, any ideas on what could be the problem???

Could it be a bad wiring connection or something?

#4 ·
Either that or one headlight was smashed an replaced with a new one somewhere along the line. My Fairmont was exactly the same, becoz I had to put a new headlight in.
Nah wouldn't think so, I have had the car for a couple of years now and the headlight has never had a problem in the past. No signs of accident damage either...

#9 ·
theres a brightness adjuster on the light, the orange thing i think it is?? or could be the philips head type screw to the top outside edge of the car, twist this till it becomes the same, its a little pot (resistor)
Thanks for that mate, will go and have a play with it. I know the adjuster you are talking about but had no idea about what it does. :thup:

#10 ·
Aren't these adjustments for the horizontal and vertical movement of the headlight. The orange knob at the back of the headlight is the vertical and the phillips headed screw on the top outside of the light is the horizontal adjustment of the light beam.
Just my experience on this.
Station-rat:s5

#11 ·
I agree with station-rat.... i think the ajustments South mentioned are for ajusting the aiming of the beam.... be carefull playing with these as it is a pain to get them perfect again.....

also over time you can get a light fading or turning blacker from exaust fumes from the car in front.. ( just look at a few cabs when you pass them... )
If you do a lot of city driving then this could be the case.... other than that i would be checking the earth connection for the light..

#12 ·
Am un awear of any brightness adjustments. I am sure the knobs you speak of are the vert and horiz adjustments.

Are the high beams working fine. if so the bad earth or low beam filament has blown.

Is it the parkers that you see. Check wires into back of plug etc.

#13 ·
Got it sorted now, just cleaned the connections around the globes and I think the bulb may not have been sitting in its holder correctly.

Also, the orange knob at the back fo the light is definitely for alignment not brightness, double checked in the gregory's manual before fiddling with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.