Ford Forums banner

Might be getting a Trip Computer

4K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  Xyphoid 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have an EL Futura and it only has a clock - instead of the more advanced trip computer etc. I know the trip computer is a simple plug 'n' play thing (thank God!) but my biggest issue is having it hooked upto the LPG system. I'm guessing it's either not possible or a lot of work - has anyone had any experience with this ?

Thanks,
Steve

#6 ·
Hi all,

I've done a search on this forum for 'trip computer LPG' and came up with some interesting reading. Now, to cut to the chase, using the diagnostic mode (thanks Xyphoid - you're a champ!) on mode 5 (the instant fuel consumption one) and on LPG it was working - now I'm hoping that this means it would work if I got the Trip computer ? Can anyone offer any expertise here ?

Thanks,
Steve

PS, Anyone got a Trip computer for an EL - hehe :)

#8 ·
Trip computer wont give LPG consumption figures (instant or average L/100 ) because it uses the pulses of the petrol injectors and the speed signal to calculate this info. Obviously, when you're running on lpg, there is no injector pulse (cause the injectors are switched off)

Still worthwhile fitting because of other features and it looks good:s5

#9 ·
mbrown42 said:
Trip computer wont give LPG consumption figures (instant or average L/100 ) because it uses the pulses of the petrol injectors and the speed signal to calculate this info. Obviously, when you're running on lpg, there is no injector pulse (cause the injectors are switched off)

Still worthwhile fitting because of other features and it looks good:s5
OK fair enough - but then why does the diagnostic tool still operate when in LPG mode as well as petrol mode ? I was under the impression that diagnostic tool #5 would just show nothing --> ie 0000 etc when in LPG mode ? Anywho, any info most appreciated ! :)

Muchas Gracias,
Steve

#11 ·
Hi dcstraight
If you have a factory gas system, I don't think that you will get any joy,but if it is an after market system you may have a shot depending on how it is connected up. My EF tickford system gives no readings on mode 5 & 6 when on LPG.I would think that if you are getting a reading that changes when you drive on LPG, it may be possible.
Station-rat

#13 ·
Hmm, interesting issue lads - well my LPG is factory fitted, so i'm unsure what the deal is exactly. I'll do some more searching around, but I'm probably going to get the trip copmuter anyway :) Does anyone know if it's worth getting new from Ford (~$300) or scouring a wrecker for one first ?

Thanks,
Steve

PS, Station-rat : Your LPG system is after market isn't it ?

#14 ·
Hmm, interesting issue lads - well my LPG is factory fitted, so i'm unsure what the deal is exactly. I'll do some more searching around, but I'm probably going to get the trip copmuter anyway :) Does anyone know if it's worth getting new from Ford (~$300) or scouring a wrecker for one first ?

Thanks,
Steve

PS, Station-rat : Your LPG system is after market isn't it ?

#16 ·
Trip computers are all un used, they have been tested and work fine. Unfortunatly I havent any wiring looms.

Can supply details on how to install etc.

$100.00 will cover it.

Also have a couple of clocks that fit in the same slot. Again no wiring looms.

$40 will do for a clock.

#17 ·
DOA said:
Trip computers are all un used, they have been tested and work fine. Unfortunatly I havent any wiring looms.

Can supply details on how to install etc.

$100.00 will cover it.

Also have a couple of clocks that fit in the same slot. Again no wiring looms.

$40 will do for a clock.
Where abouts are you?

#18 ·
Yeah, if mode 5 on the Dash diagnostics is changing values, then the Trip computer will work with the Gas system, regardless of original or aftermarket.

If these values do not change, then some features will not work,
(E.G. Instant Fuel Consumption, Avg Fuel Consumption, and Possibly distance to empty !)

We added a Trip Computer to Fusions EF, and he runs solely on LPG (No fuel whatsoever).

The surprising thing is that the figures are Accurate.
Anyway, If anyone is interested, here is the info for fitting one
http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mij/Automotive/TripComputer/TripComputer.html

Cheers
Matti

#25 ·
Hello again Lads,

Well, I've got me a Trip Computer but with no loom. I've checked Xyphoid's web page and surprisingly the instructions that I got with the kit are slightly different! I am also having trouble accessing the 'instrument cluster connector' - Can anyone help a newbie to this - hehe ;-)

Thanks ppl,
Steve

#26 ·
The Instrument Cluster Connector is the plug(s) that plug in to the bottom of the speedo, tacho etc thingie.

Basically, you want to connect the Trip computer to the Plug nearest to the Door.To do this, you will need to remove the speedo thingie, which is held on by 4 screws, (2 on each side).

I havent seen the instructions that Ford give out with the Trip Computer, so I dunno what it says, or how they recommend wiring the thing up ! (But I would be interested in Seeing it !!)

Anyway, Luckily the Trip Computer plugs in to the Standard Clock Plug, but as the doco says, it needs at least 1 more wire added to get the required info from/to the Speedo thingie.

If there is any detailed info that you need, then lemme know,
and Ill try and help you out as much as possible

Cheers
Matti

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.