Ford Forums banner

ED fairmont starting problems

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  tickford5400i 
#1 ·
Need some help in diagnosing a problem with my brothers ED fairmont.

After sitting in the car listening to the stereo for a while(10-15 mins) the car will not start unless you turn the ignition off and wait about 5-10 mins. If you do try and start it it just does absolutely nothing. It gets pretty annoying at times.

The stereo is not standard, its a sony cd player, subs amps etc.

My theory was that maybe its the smartlock thinking that someone is trying to breakinto the car fiddling with the ignition and after a certain time mucking around it needs "resetting".

Any ideas... or same problems anyone??

Cheers
Matt

#2 ·
I think its more likely you have drained the battery (I assume you are listening to the stereo with the engine off) and after a rest of 10 to 15 minutes the partially flat battery and current maintenance bit of the EEC are able to generate enough current to turn the engine over. Do you hear the starter solenoid click when you try and start the car?

#4 ·
ED starting problem

Try this:

Next time it does not want to start, hold the ignition on as if you were starting the car, and bash/tap the top of the dash (drivers side) whilst holding down on the ignition.

I bet you it will start.

Let me know how you go :crazy1:

tickford5800i@yahoo.com

#6 ·
You've jinxed me; I had a similar problem with my NC last night after I posted . Started it noticed boot was open, stopped car, wouldn't start again (2 hours), charged battery no change (only slightly flat - boot light on) removed and checked fuses and it started. Is a fuse slightly faulty or not seated or had corroded terminals or did I move something else? Hmmmm.

#7 ·
EDFUTURA said:
It really does sound like a sick battery.
I'd tend to believe that if the car was turning over slowly. I know what a flat battery sounds like when trying to start a car... unless these motors simply don't turn over unless theres enough amps??

And then when it does start it has the same cranking power as before all the drama.

So im clueless..

Thanks for your replys guys

Matt

#8 ·
The reason I made the comment about it sounding like battery is that 14 months ago I was out with my family at dinner and when we got in the car to go home it was dead. I wriggled things in the battery area and whacked the battery terminals with no initial result. After several frustrated twists of the key and a brief swearing session, followed by several more twists of the key the car just started! It cranked nicely and fired up no sweat. So we drove to my work which was on the way home and the nearest source of tools, multimeters etc. - after shutting down in the carpark there, it once again wouldn't start. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery leads with no change initially then after a number of attempts (lasting maybe 10 minutes of trying) it once again just started no sweat. At that point I grabbed the work ute and ripped over to a 24 hr BP servo and bought a new battery. Chucked it in and here we are 14 months later with the car having not missed a beat.

#9 ·
sometimes the contact in the back of the ignition switch wear and come loose, and dont make contact on the starting circuit.

also the smartlock module could have a dodgy solder join on the printed circuit board which may play up intermittently

#10 ·
Same as "botch" said, thats why I tol you to hit/bang the dash with the key turned on - as if you were starting the car.

This will cause the module and/or the one of many circuit boards behind the dash to move and I bet you it will start.....

Let me know how you go dude....:s2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.