Ford Forums banner

Jealous - Who me?

3K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  OED666 
#1 ·
The time has come for my brother to purchase his first car. So he got the trading post yesterday and has been marking all of these cool cars which are within the budget. He has a few cars in mind, EA, VL, R31 and possibly EB. With up to about $5000 to spend he has had no problems finding low kilometre modified examples of each of these cars.

So far I think he is keen on getting an EA S pak most likely manual. So this brings me to the point of this post - I'm jealous because this time around we know what to look for. He found a 5 speed S-pak close to where we live so we might go take a look today, the ad doesn't state whether it is multipoint or not.

Ah well, thats what I get for not researching when we first bought my EA. :)

Ash

#3 ·
mate, my brother is looking at an EBII fairmont. ****ing prick. ive test driven 2 of them for him so far (hes 17, nearly 1:cool: and theyre bloody awesome. heaps of power quieter interior, FOUR SPEED, MULTI POINT, 4.0 LITRE. ****ing bastard ;)

$5200 is the latest one we're looking at. 170,000. needs a bit of work - clean ups, dodgy trims and stuff. all in all, a bit of work and it'd look nuts.

i wish i had the cash for this sort of thing...

#5 ·
im an old fogie when it comes to this

i have my standard 120kW EA 3sp and im so happy with its comfortability and power, i mean it picks up fully where u need it to and if your at 60 and slap it into 1 it BOLTS

i cant imagine what an MPI would do, let alone a manual MPI, let alone a manual MPI with mods, let alone Bass's MPI manual with mods....hehe

ill own a performance car one day, but i dont think it will be for city travel.

ben

G
#6 ·
Ben

I have a 89 series 2 EA gl cfi 3.9 i/6,the series 2 has a btr 4 spd with power-4250rpm change + econ 3250rpm,these figures are the same as the power / torque peaks...no?My question is BEN when you are pulling away with the taps wide open ,what is the speed ( kmph ) your box changes from 1st to 2nd to 3rd???-mine are as follows ( aprox -no bullshit please )

(with power mode on , running pulp.)

1st to 2nd = 45 ish kmph
2nd to 3rd = 90 flat kmph
3rd to 4th = 4th is overdriven gear, and ive never held it flat thro 3rd ... a land speed record attempt is the only time you would.

#7 ·
My gear changes

My Auto EB fairmont Ghia 4sp will change at the following with the power on and running pulp

1->2 72ish
2->3 110ish
3->4 150ish

This is from a standing start, floored all the way until it runs out of gogo at around 180.

G
#9 ·

With regards to gear change, at least on the 3 speed, it depends on how you are flooring the car and tension of your kickdown cable. Basically once it starts to labour it will go up a gear.

Gear ratios are the same on 3 speed and 4 (except for the 4th obviously) but the diff is slightly shorter on the 4 speed, which means it would up a gear at a lower speed (but same given RPM). I have a 3 speed and when fully floored it will kick up at around 80 kph @ approx 4300 rpm which seems to be consistent with your figures for the 4 speed.

Hope that helps...

G
#10 ·
FASTER!!!

Just went driving with mates,and really put my foot down,floored it infact(first time!)ive just been babying it because its my 1st car bla bla bla...anyway

flat to the floor is REALLY

1ST TO 2ND 75 KMPH

2ND TO 3RD 95ish( just under 100) KMPH

it kicked into 3RD at 95 & i reved it to 170 >

Fastest ive had it + im getting EB tail lights,
and 15'' EB fairmont alloys wiv 235s 50 series.

#15 ·
Well
my post is total opposite off all of ya =P

for my 1st car ii wanted a vl, or r31.
but the exampls i test drove were real sluggish and fair shabby looking
i had a budget of $3000.

then i test drove the manual mpi EA, red, bodykit, and with mags. and it was by far the best car i had driven. so i bought it.

if i had my time over again with my knowledge now, i would have made the EXACT same choice on my 1st car.
i love my car, its quicker than most other stock ea's (sorry auto guys), and beats all my mates vn, vp's ect.. and with the bodykit it looks pretty decent too.

maybe i was just lucky...but i still bilieve to this day that my $3000 couldnt have been better spent on my 1st car.
(btw car came with rego and roadworthy)

-BoZZa

#19 ·
I didn't mine it. It was that falconxwing or whatever who has been spamming, was just a coincidence that it was a thread about my first car (kinda) although it went off topic for a bit.

I crashed the car and sold it to Doug (SPHELL) who used it for the MPI the T5 and the Head.

THE END.

#20 ·
hah, speaking of younger brothers and cars, mum was driving my brother around in the EB while I serviced the VT at work, he said he'd gladly own one.

I think he's almost converted!

#21 ·
Re: My gear changes

whataboutBEN said:
My Auto EB fairmont Ghia 4sp will change at the following with the power on and running pulp

1->2 72ish
2->3 110ish
3->4 150ish

This is from a standing start, floored all the way until it runs out of gogo at around 180.
My ED used to change at 69, 105, and 140 something. but I had a 3.45 LSD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.