Ford Forums banner

Crap auto -> manual

2K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  Bass Crazy 
G
#1 ·
Hey boyz, just curious as to how big of a job it is too
pull out the CRAP autobox and replace with a T5.
Is this gonna cost me shitloads (i dont have smart friends like bassCrazy) There isnt any screwing around with the ECU is there? My autobox is on the way out and instead of paying 1000+ for an overhaul i want to get the manual put in instead. Also, what is the RPM at 100kph in 5th gear?

Brent

#2 ·
LOL.. smart friends huh.

While I was shopping around I found a few T5 conversions from wreckers etc. for around $550-800, depending on how much of a tight ass the guys that owns the place is.

Some wreckers might be willing to do the conversion for ya, and if I remember correctly, it is around $500 labor.

With my ECU (3 speed) all I needed to do was connect the clutch sensor to it. I found the plug under the dash, and simply connected it to the clutch sensor. DONE!

G
#4 ·
Coool

So it would cost me less than $1500 for a recon T5 plus
labor to install it? I reckon that sounds pretty good.
The RPM @ 100 sounds good, anything less than 2000
would suit me fine. Bass - did u find the T5 and clutch smooth?? Ive never driven a manual 6 and i dont want it too feel heavy (clutch). This is going into a wagon 3.9L MPFI.

Brent

#5 ·
Re: Coool

I'm not sure about reco prices, but the ones I mentioned were from wreckers.

To be honest, the T5 has makes the ride more rough then the auto, and increases the in cabin noise. The 4 cyl cars I have been in tend to be smoother through gear changes, but then again, I am not an experienced manual driver.

In my opinion, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages ten fold..

#8 ·

nope you would need to convert it.
the boxes themselves cost $595 and the conversion bellhousings are around $400 from dellow.
they are very strong. ive read they will take up to around 400hp or so. the supra turbo boxes even more than that.
i know a few people running them behind large v8's.
so they should be ok with the EA's torque.

G
#9 ·

Hey Bass Crazy, I was wondering about your "the T5 makes the ride more rough then the auto, and increases the in cabin noise" comment.

With regards to the rougher ride-do u mean due to rough gear changes?

and with the in cabin noise-is the noise generated by the t5 harsher than say, the noise of the engine revving at 2300rpm on thefreeway with a 3 speed?

I want to do a t5 conversion because i believe the t5 1)offers more drivability 2)The car drives at lower revs due to extra gears, hence being less harsh at high speeds and drinks less fuel also. How right am in thinking all this? Thanx

#10 ·

Hey, check out topic "T5"

Briefly, yes, it's only the gear changes that are rougher, depends on how good you can drive it.

I find that the T5 makes noise under hard acceleration, but it's fine while cruising, and the lower rpm at high speeds make freeway driving more quiet overall then the 3 speed.

As for your comments, there pretty much on the money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.